Windows 7 Ethernet lights turn off once I get into Windows; can't update Realtek PCIE GBE family controller

Pundrew

...because code 31; there is no local area connection in network adapter tab, realtek ethernet controller driver wont install because of deep sleep mode mode or something; in device manager, there is no network section, but at the bottom my realtek family controller is listed as unknown with a yellow exclamation point.

So many problems,yet after countless days, I cannot figure it out. I've tried everything I possibly could. The ethernet cable is fine because it works on my laptop and it lights up when i boot the PC, it just turns of the moment i enter windows. I cannot system restore because the restore point function was turned of for some reason -.-.. (turned it back on..).

I've always tried resetting cmos. The only thing I haven't done probably is update my bios. This is because apparently you need to have internet connection at all times during the update otherwise something will go wrong, but I have no internet at all so I cant do it.

I need help ASAP. I'm on my laptop right now and internet is fine through wifi..

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte GA H55M S2H (rev.1.1), 4 gig ram, r9 270x PCS+, i3 540 3.06 ghz, hx620w psu, Haf 912.

The problem started with me accidentally deleting the realtek PCIe familly controller driver from device manager. The moment I deleted it, i saw my internet go out from the red x on the bottom right of task bar. Since then I have not had internet on the computer..

More about : ethernet lights

Pundrew, it might be time for a work-around. It's frustrating to not be able to figure out the cause of a problem but in the meantime, you don't have Internet access. You described having the problem before but can't remember how you solved it. Someday, that solution will pop back into your memory. For now, Trouble suggested an $18 fix--just put in a new card, even if what is already in your system is not defective. Another solution, get a wifi dongle and lose the cable. Your time and stress reduction will be well worth the tiny investment. Let the computer win this round.

Pundrew, it might be time for a work-around. It's frustrating to not be able to figure out the cause of a problem but in the meantime, you don't have Internet access. You described having the problem before but can't remember how you solved it. Someday, that solution will pop back into your memory. For now, Trouble suggested an $18 fix--just put in a new card, even if what is already in your system is not defective. Another solution, get a wifi dongle and lose the cable. Your time and stress reduction will be well worth the tiny investment. Let the computer win this round.
I took your advice and bought the dge 530t nic but still have the exact same problem with the code 31.. I'm so lost right now

Gees, you can't win for losing. Now you need a workaround for the workaround.

It appears you are not alone. I found a number of reports of people with the same problem and all had difficulty solving it. You've got a couple of threads going here; I forget everything you've tried. Here is some stuff to try and some links:

• One person reported: "Solved, I believe. It was a matter of not having the correct revision's driver page."
    I don't know what they were referring to, but if you can make sense of that answer, you may have a solution.

• One person solved the problem by replacing the motherboard after all else failed. You're not there yet.

• One person reported banging their head against the table repeatedly. They did not claim that solved the problem so I would save that as a last resort.
But seriously, folks:
  • When you installed the NIC, did you disable the old stuff? If that doesn't work, either, removed the new one so as not to confound the problem.
  • Run SFC /scannow just in case; can't hurt.

• Perform a clean boot and see if the problem occurs (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135)

• Power down, unplug the computer power cord, remove the CMOS battery. Wait 10 minutes, put everything back, and then turn it back on.

• Disable deep sleep mode. In fact, I would disable all sleep modes and hibernation. They are very problem prone and don't really affect global warming.

• Disable sleep functionality for the device in the Device Manager.

• Remove the RAM chips to reset the motherboard. See this post for details:
    http://adeelejaz.com/blog/realteks-network-controller-deep-sleep-mode-issue/
    When you do it, try to handle only plastic portions of the RAM module and keep your other hand on a metal portion of the case interior while you're touching the RAM. They are very easily damaged by even low levels of static electricity.

• You've already updated the BIOS. If none of the recommendations to this point have worked, you may be at the point where the next step is a fresh install of Windows.

Another resource to check out:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

You've tried everything including switching hardware, restore isn't an option either. Have you considered backing up your files and perform a complete system recovery? If hardware isn't the issue, it seems that there is a total corruption on your network controller driver. Recovery is your last resort.

BTW, in your Network Adapter Settings page, do you have more than 2 entries (see image below)? If you have only one or 2 items there, ignore this question. Cheers!

network_adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, my original reaction was that the hardware was working and the problem had to be seriously messed up drivers. Then I remembered that you get the indicator light as long as there is an electrical connection, it doesn't necessarily mean that any signal processing is going on. Researching the issue, it looks like the problem may actually be neither defective hardware nor drivers. There is a known problem related to sleep mode. Apparently, the hardware gets locked up and needs to be re-initialized. Hopefully, that's the issue here; the solutions are benign. As you said, recovering or reinstalling Windows is a last resort. Pundrew will want to exhaust the other solutions before venturing there.

So, to be able to re-initialize the hardware (or install the driver correctly if that is in case an issue), the sleep mode has to be disabled first? Did the OP disabled the deep sleep mode?

If that is actually the underlying problem, sleep mode doesn't need to be disabled before the fix, just before the next time it goes to sleep or the problem will recur. Pundrew's first post about the problem was a few days ago. I think my mention of discovering the sleep mode connection a little earlier in this thread was the first time it was brought up. So this fix probably hasn't been tried yet.

If that is actually the underlying problem, sleep mode doesn't need to be disabled before the fix, just before the next time it goes to sleep or the problem will recur. Pundrew's first post about the problem was a few days ago. I think my mention of discovering the sleep mode connection a little earlier in this thread was the first time it was brought up. So this fix probably hasn't been tried yet.
Actually I've tried to disable deep sleep mode but there wasn't even a tab for power management because the adapter wasn't even detected properly, giving me the code 31. And in 'Network Connections' there was no local area connection, or anything at all. Anyways, I did end up reinstalling Windows fresh and BOOOOOOOOM! I don't even want to think about trying to find the root cause anymore, I'm just glad it's finally working after tedious days of searching. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to help and for those of you who have the same problem, you may as well re install windows if you think you've tried everything else.

What you wanna do now is to create a system image of your system while it's fresh and clean. This will save you several hours in case you need to start fresh again or fix persistent problems. Image recovery will only take 15 to 30mins to complete unlike system recovery or reinstallation which can take up to a day. Don't forget also to turn restore point on. Glad to hear you're back in business

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Last edited:
Great to hear you're up and running again. Regarding sleep mode, it sounds like you looked only in Device Manager while you were encountering the problem. Your system still has the vulnerability (and you mentioned encountering the problem previously). To prevent a recurrence, you might want to disable sleep modes in general and for the device. Now that it is working, you may see the settings in Device Manager. The other settings are in power management for the computer, itself (under power options in the control panel).

Back