Windows 8 Event ID 16385 and Mouse Freeze-up

zabberwan

Extraordinary Member
Hi,
I am having a strange problem on Windows 8 as of late. Just in the middle of work the mouse pointer freezes in its tracks and there is nothing doing, but to restart. And then all goes on well as if nothing' happened. Today, I had the same problem, but this time the the mouse seems to revive after a minute so and after a while it again freezes up.
I looked it up in the Event Manager and find a constant error which seems to have been going on for sometime. The error is always Event ID: 16385
Code:
Log Name:  Application
Source:  Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP
Date:  17-Aug-14 15:13:17
Event ID:  16385
Task Category: None
Level:  Error
Keywords:  Classic
User:  N/A
Computer:  falcon
Description:
Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2014-09-16T09:59:17Z. Error Code: 0x80070005.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="[URL]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event[/URL]">
  <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP" Guid="{E23B33B0-C8C9-472C-A5F9-F2BDFEA0F156}" EventSourceName="Software Protection Platform Service" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="49152">16385</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-17T13:13:17.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>104644</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>falcon</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
  <Data>0x80070005</Data>
  <Data>2014-09-16T09:59:17Z</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I wonder if the error has anything to do with the mouse freezing up the works or is it unrelated.

The mouse battery is fully charged and the drivers are are the latest (according to Microsoft) and the manufacturer says this is only version, therefore neither of these can be the problem.

Any ideas how to fix the Event Error and the mouse problem.

Mouse and Keyboard Set: SilverCrest (wireless)

Using Windows 8.1 on my laptop to write this mail

Have you got these 3 files?
Screenshot (24).png

@ patcookie: Have already done that, but the problem continues..
@ ussnorway: Yes, I have the files, but there is no option to do anything with them I am on a desktop - Windows 8. At the most I can delete or rename.

Hi

Sometimes it's the mouse, if you have access to another one try it and see if the same thing happens.

I've had this happen a number of times over the years and a new mouse usually fixed it, but it would be good to figure if that's the problem before making the investment.

I'm not sure that the error, Event ID: 16385 would effect the mouse, but here's a post about the event error that may have some relevant information in it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...nt-16385-error-0x80070005?forum=winserver8gen

Mike

1. Sorry yes, the error is a generic access denied… there are a couple of different ways to recreate it, with out-dated registry cleaners being highest on my list.
2. Try a new mouse by all means but then a reinstall of windows may be required… would be my next step.

Hi to both of you,
Well the link you gave Mike was what I had already read on Google before I asked in the forum. The fellow is explaining about removing the Task etc. and there is no context option to "import files" into the SoftwareProtectionPlatform directory and second problem is how do you save a file in "notepad" with a "file" extension.
So, the first step was to own the file to the Registered User. It did not accept the Administrator (strange!).and did not have to delete or remove the Task from the Task Scheduler.
Next, I opened the same file and copied the xml content from Windows 8.1 and compared it to the original (faulty) file.
Finally, pasted the contents to the SvcRestartTaskLogon There was only one parameter that was wrong. Since then no more errors.
As for the mouse (or the Set along with the Keyboard) is not that old (since Feb. 2014) and the store (just round the corner) we bought it from is willing to take it back and replace it with a new one (my office also buys many things from them).
Bizarrely enough, hell's bells, no more mouse errors and that beats me. It has really nothing to do with the mouse.I am skeptic it may just be a fluke and will pop up again one of these days.
There were a few malware insurgents which MBAM removed , but these were only a few days old.
Thank you all for the help and happy trails..

Back