Windows 7 Exception 0x80000003 error occurs on shutdown of Win 7 Pro also OXEA47337

Frank McLean

Hi,

Recently when shutting down Windows 7 professional and error is flashed in a window for a very short time. I have been able to see, I believe, and error "Exception 0x80000003" by shutting down repeatedly. I also saw OXEA47337 today and a partial OEXC38... the other day. Additionally, in Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark beside "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" under Network Adapters. Recent new software I have installed are Acronis True Image 2017 1-Time Purchase and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Can anyone shed any light on these problems. What is the severity of the danger here? Are these problems I can fix myself with help or should I rush my computer to a computer technician to fix?

Additionally, in Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark beside "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" under Network Adapters.
Have you tried re-installing your Network driver?

Laptop drivers are found via the laptop manufacturers support page. Just do a search for your particular model and usually they are easy to find.

If you cannot find anything yourself, post the make and model of your machine and we'll look for you.

Yes. Responce is, "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver is up to date.

i,
This PC is 6-1/2 yrs. old, so there are several possibilities; virus/malware attack, failing/failed hardware such as hard drive or RAM memory stick(s), or Windows registry corruption. Since kemical's suggestion didn't work, those are the most likely possibilities.

Prior to starting any software troubleshooting or hardware testing, it's always best to FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVAL DATA LOSS!!

First thing you should do is to scan your PC for viruses and spyware viruses using whatever your built in AV program is (also make sure it's up to date and actively running). Scan/remove all viruses found. You mentioned Malwarebytes and that's the best scanner to check for spyware viruses. Repeat the procedure of scanning/removing all spyware viruses found with your MBAM. Reboot your computer. If the error messages you were getting go away and your Internet comes back, you simply had a spyware virus which attacked your PC and disabled your network adapter driver.:eek: This is so common these days as to be ubiquitous. We see 50-100 of these viruses taking out user's Internet connectivity a month! :pirate: If the error messages abate and your Internet comes back; you're fixed and all set to go!:up:

If your problems persist, continue reading below:
You mentioned you were using Acronis for your backup image file, and that's fine. It's one of the 3 backup image files we regularly recommend here; the other 2 being Macrium and EASEus TODO; all 3 of these programs we've testing rigorously from WinXP-W10. So you are good there. However, I would also recommend a manual folder/file backup using either Windows Explorer or if you're not familiar with this tool already built into your Windows7, I suggest you download the free AOEMI Backupper, the easiest way to achieve a folder/file backup to external media. This program does NOT backup your programs, as Acronis does, but only your data; such as that contained within your Library folders as above.

I could just tell you to do a Windows7 reset and that would be the end of my Post. However, since your computer is nearing 7 years old, it's highly likely it's developed hardware failures, and doing a Windows reset or reinstallation is a complete waste of time if your hard drive or memory sticks have failed.
No software on the planet can fix Broken hardware!!

If you're never replaced the hard drive in that PC, it's highly likely that it's failing or has already failed and these are the real reasons for your hardware errors showing up in Windows. So you know, modern hard drives made for computers made in 2009 or later are only designed to last 3 years!:eek: This being the case, it makes sense to test your hard drive and RAM memory sticks; if they report any errors, they have failed and must be replaced. :waah: By now, I'm sure you'll see why; as if you don't and you go to all the trouble of reinstalling your Windows7, the failures will continue since they are being cause by failed hardware and not software or drivers.:headache:

I wrote a handy little free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE available here that will provide you with step-by-step troubleshooting and software repair procedures: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Once your hardware testing is complete, and no errors from your hard drive or memory sticks are found, you can continue with the Software repairs section of the Guide. If either tests return errors, you'll have to replace your hard drive and any failed memory sticks until you can pass tests on both without errors. Once you do this, you can begin applying software solutions. Once your hardware is known good; you can fix your Windows with more aggressive repairs in my Guide. :)

This is a lot to take in, and repairing one's own PC is not for everyone. :andwhat: You need much patience to do this, especially if you've never attempted a complex repair such as this. The Guide is 6-8 pages and is quite lengthy, so I suggest you print it out on another working computer that can get the Internet and keep in front of you while you try and fix the broken computer (the HP). The hardware testing process can take several days. If you don't have this kind of time, or don't have the patience I mentioned you need, or just can't wrap your head around this entire process, I urge you to consider taking it to your local licensed Computer Pro and paying him to do all this tedious work for you!:p

If you decide to attempt this yourself, feel free to post back any questions you have to this thread and we will try to answer you within 24 hrs. Most other tech forums on the Internet are not nearly as responsive as we are. And we are here 24x7x365 to support you!

Best of luck to you,:D

<<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>>

First, I believe I've found the answer to the yellow exclamation mark on "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface. The reason is basically explained here:
HELP ! what the heck is a "Teredo tunneling pseudo-interface"?
In short, most home networking IPv4. Teredo Tunneling is part of the Windows Vista interface, and Teredo tunneling is a method of tunneling IPV6 traffic over an IPV4 network. By typing ipconfig/all at the command prompt, I see there is no IPv6 address only one for IPv4. What that tells me is that the Teredo driver is the best one and uptodate, but “This device cannot start. (Code 10)” because it is not being called up by an item in ipconfig. But if and IPv6 address showed up, the Teredo driver is there to handle it. So that part I consider problem solved. Therefore, the 0x80000003 exception and OXEA47337 and OXEC38... errors are I suspect something else.

Now I have to read BIGBEARJEDI's response.

Hi BIGBEARJEDI,
Thank you for responding. First, I really don't think it is a virus or malware attack. I've updated my Malwarbytes protection from Premium to Anti-Exploit which I understand is their highest level of protection. The Malwarebytes removed about 1650 items off of my computer and I talked with him this morning about this and assures me my system is clean. I also run Trend Micro Virus scan. So, I'm fairly comfortable in that regard. My computer is running fine. It's fast. No Problem there. I don't see anything that's not working due to the Teredo driver yellow explanation mark.

With Regard to the Window's Registry I scan it regularly and fix any problems I find. Did this today a couple of time.

Yes the PC is 61/2 years old. And, I think you're absolutely right the problem is some failing hardware from old age. I do a full backup most every night at the end of the day to two separate external USB Drives that are only a couple of years old. Alternating day by day so that I always have an uptodate full backup up to the previous day with Acronis True Image 2017. I just switched over from Paragon because I couldn't understand how to use all of Paragon. It was just to complicated to try to use and understand for me to be able to use it correctly. Before Paragon I used Windows and as I recall it lacked the sophistication I required at that time. Maybe it deserves a second look but I really believe it's in the hardware so I need to try and see how to check the hardware out.

Actually, now that I think about it my C: HD failed about 2 3/4 years ago and I had to put in an New HD and resinstall Window 7 Pro at that time. And, today I ran both Check Disk and then Scanned my C: HD for bad sectors and no errors were found. I also ran sfc.exe /scannow from the command prompt and found nothing. So, I think the C: HD is okay. But, I see you say that they're only good for about 3 years so, I'm going to try and follow your Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure and Memory Diagnostics as well. And as I recall, I think errors like OXEA47337 are memory location errors. At any rate, thank you so much for your time and help with this. It's much appreciated. It gives me directions to go to sort this out.

By the way, If it turned out to be a HD problem, should I consider a solid state drive replacement or Is that even possible on my old machine? Bye for now and thanks again.
Frank

SeaTools from Seagate should tell you whether the drive is good or not. It doesn't matter what drive you have as the app will run on most drives:

Hi,

A bit of an update. I tested both of my internal HDs with Sea Tool s DOS. My C: drive with the operating system passed both the short Test and the Long Test. My D drive I only did the short test which it passed. I have 4 external USB drives. One Seagate, two Western Digital and One Iomega. The Iomega drive was the first external USB drive I bought, and was I believe a few months before they adopted a standard for USB drives. I think that is why, Sea Tools for Windows shows it as a unknown drive, but it passed the short test and was recognized by Sea Tools.

My Segate drive Failed the short generic test, so I ran windows checkdisk on it and the windows check and fix bad sectors. Then I ran Sea Tools for windows again on it and it passed the short generic test and the DST test. Both my Western Digital external USB drives passed the short generic test but when I ran Sea Tools for Windows the second time to check the Seagate drive after running the windows scans on it, for some reason I wasn't seeing the Western Digital drives. Perhaps it was because I had pulled the power supply cords on some of the HDs to see which ones were they were in Sea Tools for Windows. Maybe rebooting the PC will fix that.

Something else I noticed was that Seagate drives are supposed to have a serial number starting with ST and the Seagate drive doesn't. The serial number shown by Sea Tools for Windows is NA8E12X6. Perhaps it's only internal drives that are supposed to have supposed to have ST serial numbers.

That's as far as I've gotten so far in the testing. I haven't started to test the memory chips yet. when I shut down last, another error message popped up for a split second at an earlier point in the shut down sequence than was happening earlier.

That's all for now.

Frank

Hi BIGBEARJEDI,

Well today I ran the Memtest86+ memory test and got back "Pass Complete, no errors, press esc to exit. So, now I'm really wondering. So, I guess next I'll try the Memtest86+ HD test to see if it turns up anything that Sea Tools didn't.

Bye for now.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm pretty sure Memtest86 is for memory only.

Did you try running Seatools as suggested because this will be a good indicator of the drives status.

When you ran Memtest86 did you test for at least 12hrs?

Another way to use Memtest86 is to test each stick individually

Hi kemical,

Yes. I ran Sea Tools for DOS on my two internal drives and Sea Tools for Windows on my 4 external drives. The only one that failed the test first time around was my Segate external USB drive. I ran windows check disk on it and windows surface scan and fix and then ran Sea Tools for windows on it again and it then passed the test.

With regard to Memtest86+, no, I just ran it through once. I didn't know it should be ran for a long time. I'll try that tonight. Yes, you're right. Memtest86+ is only for testing memory. What is the logic of running Memtest86+ for 12 hours? Why isn't one time enough?

BIGBEARJEDI had a link on his referred page separate from Memtest86+ which I thought was also a different application from Memtest86+. But, when I go there to check I see there is Sea Tools to test Segate drives and Western Digital has something too but I haven't checked out either of those links yet.

Kemical, you say I can test each stick individually, so I take it they don't have to be paired up. When running them individually, do I have to test each one for 12 hours?

Thank you in advance.

Frank

What is the logic of running Memtest86+ for 12 hours? Why isn't one time enough?

Hi Frank,
each pass targets different parts of the memory and sometimes it can take over 10hrs or so before an error appears.

Kemical, you say I can test each stick individually, so I take it they don't have to be paired up. When running them individually, do I have to test each one for 12 hours?

Ideally it's better to test the sticks individually and yes the same amount of time applies. Try to use the same slot every time though, the one nearest the CPU is best.

Hope all goes well with the testing Frank, any problems then post back.

Ross :)

Hi Kemical,

By the way, do I have to remain in front of the computer all the time the tests are being run. That is, if an error is found will it disappear as the testing moves on or will it remain until I take some action?

TIA,
Frank

Hi Kemical,

Also, are one short and long tests of the HDs sufficient or do I have to do multiple tests there as well?

TIA,
Frank

Hi Frank,
Glad you are making some progress on the testing. In answer to your question, the Memtest86+ will accumulate the errors on the screen for you during and at the completion of the memory testing. So, no you don't have to sit in front of your screen for 10+ hours! Go watch a movie, clean the dishes, take a walk, etc. ;)

No, one short test and one long test on each of the Hard Drives is sufficient.

Another thing, Seatools does not typically work on Western Digital (WD) drives, at least on most modern models. WD drive diagnostics, either DLG or WD Drive Utilities usually does not work on Seagate drives.

Regarding your question about the Serial number of your Seagate drive, if it's a Seagate drive it should have the ST preceding it as you said. However, Seagate purchase many other drive companies over the years, and it could be an OEM drive sold to a company that markets external USB drives in enclosures. The electronics of the enclosures may be transposing a Seagate drive number to the Enclosure serial number such as IOMEGA and other companies do to "own" the device. If you remove the hard drive from the enclosure and put it into either a Desktop PC as SATA drive 0 port on the Motherboard, it should show up with a ST model number with Seatools utilities. You could also purchase a IDE-to-SATA adapter which would allow you to test the drive after removing it from the enclosure. This device is under $20 and is an often-used tool in a repair tech's toolbox these days. They are available here: Vantec IDE to SATA Converter - Model CB-IS100-Newegg.com

You should know before you attempt to remove your SATA hard drive from an USB enclosure, that many models of WD and SEAGATE and other USB external drive makers are designed to prevent drive removal by the end-user (you). If you do remove them, they will usually break the enclosures and or the electronics circuit boards inside and you will be stuck with a useless device. Replacement enclosures are available for $40-$70, but at almost the cost of an entirely new external USB drive replacement drive. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your curiosity to learn how these devices works is overwhelming and you're willing to pay for a replacement enclosure, or in some cases an entire new drive.

Hope that helps. By the way, very good job with the testing so far!!:thumbs_up:

Almost forgot, as long as the internal Hard Drive is a SATA drive, yes a new SSD replacement drive should be usable. I replaced the internal drive on my 8 year old Sony laptop with an SSD 2 years ago, and it gave it new life and it runs like new now! Even though the laptop hardware was designed for Vista, it is running W10 now and runs better than ever!:applaud:

Let us know how you get on.
Best of continued luck,:clover: :encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

By the way, do I have to remain in front of the computer all the time the tests are being run. That is, if an error is found will it disappear as the testing moves on or will it remain until I take some action?
Your errors will stay onscreen so no you don't have sit in front of it but I'd still keep my eye on it from time to time.

Also, are one short and long tests of the HDs sufficient or do I have to do multiple tests there as well?

The long and short test are fine.. :)

Back