Windows 7 Explorer.exe crashes on large file operations + other things

theoriginalaks

After having windows 7 installed on my computer for several days without incident it seems now that whenever I try to do anything with a file large enough to not be copied instantly (either moving it, copying it, or deleting it) explorer.exe will crash and restart. Attempting to empty the recycling bin produces the same result.

I have uninstalled all possible 3rd party shell extensions with no improvement.

When attempting to re download the upgrade with digital river (where I bought it from) the program tells me I need to connect to the internet, which I am without any doubt

When attempting to check the windows firewall advanced settings (although I have access to the regular settings) to see if the digital river download tool was exempted I see Windows Management Console has stopped working

When attempting to see if I had a hardware incompatibility (although all the components are reasonably new) the windows upgrade adviser would crash instantly.

I have no anti-virus or firewall programs installed.

I am running windows 7 64 bit (I ran the 64 bit RC for months with no incident)

After having windows 7 installed on my computer for several days without incident it seems now that whenever I try to do anything with a file large enough to not be copied instantly (either moving it, copying it, or deleting it) explorer.exe will crash and restart. Attempting to empty the recycling bin produces the same result.

I have uninstalled all possible 3rd party shell extensions with no improvement.

When attempting to re download the upgrade with digital river (where I bought it from) the program tells me I need to connect to the internet, which I am without any doubt

When attempting to check the windows firewall advanced settings (although I have access to the regular settings) to see if the digital river download tool was exempted I see Windows Management Console has stopped working

When attempting to see if I had a hardware incompatibility (although all the components are reasonably new) the windows upgrade adviser would crash instantly.

I have no anti-virus or firewall programs installed.

I am running windows 7 64 bit (I ran the 64 bit RC for months with no incident)
I too have noticed this problem on occasion with the Retail X64. Let's see if anyone has seen a solution for this.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, but when explorer would crash so would COM Surrogate. i found a thread here some where that said that COM would crash due to some sort of clash with Adobe CS, I've uninstalled adobe CS this morn and tried a few things and it hasn't crashed yet. so yeah maybe that has something to do with it,

Dunno if that helps but its what i found

---EDIT---

Looks like i was wrong, i tried deleteing some vids and bam explorer crashed, and now i cant even open folders, going to have to reboot, just for anyone interested the error i get now is

"The Remote Procedure call failed and did not execute"

Last edited:
Yeah i know, but it just seemed like something that may give someone a clue as to what might be causing the problem. Cheers anyway

Back
Top Bottom