Windows 7 External SATA USB HDD not recognized

Nicdou

I've got Windows 7 RC installed on a Dell Inspiron 6400 (dual boot with openSuse 11.1).
I have a 250 GB USB external SATA HDD in a NexStar3 enclosure recognized in ‘Device Manager – Disk Drives’ as ‘Maxtor 6 V250F0 USB Device’.
'Properties' tell me the device is working properly, although I can’t populate anything in the ‘Volumes’ tab (I get a ‘Volume information for this disk cannot be found’ error.)
The drive doesn't show up in ‘Computer’.
If I go to ‘Computer – Manage – Disk Management’, the drive doesn’t even show up in the list of volumes. So it’s impossible for me to just reactivate it or format it.
The drive was recognized just fine in my previous Windows XP partition on the same laptop.
The drive is currently recognized just fine in my openSuse 11.1 linux partition.
There is nothing in the BIOS that would allow me to tweak the SATA drive options.
I tried putting *another* SATA drive in the *same* NexStar3 enclosure. Same problem.
I tried connecting the *same* SATA drive in *another* external enclosure. Same problem.
I tried connecting *another* SATA drive in *another* external enclosure. Same problem.
I have an IDE 400 GB external USB HDD in another NexStar3 enclosure that is recognized just fine in Windows 7.
I assume it’s a Windows 7/external USB SATA issue.
What’s wrong? Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks a lot.

Hey there,
new to the forums, but noticed no solution had been posted. if you were still trying to get your external SATA drive detected in Windows 7, I have a solution for it on my blog. I'm still waiting for Microsoft to patch that as it's quite annoying...

have a look if you're interested: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks

Wow! Thanks for the reply. I had simply given up and thought I was the only one on this planet with that problem... :razz:

I'll definitely check it out.

Hey there,
new to the forums, but noticed no solution had been posted. if you were still trying to get your external SATA drive detected in Windows 7, I have a solution for it on my blog. I'm still waiting for Microsoft to patch that as it's quite annoying...

have a look if you're interested: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks

i thought i was the only one too! that tool "Detect Drive" saves me frustration every day! can't wait till that's patched, or a fix is released.
let me know if it works out for you.

Hi, sorry for asking:
Other than the SATA to USB cable from your hard drive to the computer, do you also need to connect the power adapter to the hard drive? Sorry, I am a dummy regarding that topic.
I thought the cable would both be the data transfer cable AND the power cable. I have this one:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks guys!

Back