Windows 8 Externall HDD problem

Alan Peterson

Right, firstly, new here, so apologies if this is poted in the wrong place/ section.

Having a problem with an external HDD. When connected to a computer, windows will recognise it, but when I try to open it to view files, I get the following message:

F:\ is not accessible

'The volume does not contain a recognised file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted'

I also get a message saying that the HDD must be formatted in order to be used.

This happens in windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. However, when I connect the HDD to my playststion 3, I am able to view the photos on there, I can copy them, but it takes forever! And due to the file system on the ps3, it won't read any of the other files.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out?

Thanks, Alan

Hello Alan and welcome to the forum.
Do you have any idea as to the original source of this external hard drive?
Was it initially from a PlayStation device or perhaps a MAC system or Linux based System?
That information would be important to know in advance so as to possibly determine the format of the drive initially.

Hello Alan and welcome to the forum.
Do you have any idea as to the original source of this external hard drive?
Was it initially from a PlayStation device or perhaps a MAC system or Linux based System?
That information would be important to know in advance so as to possibly determine the format of the drive initially.

Hi, the hard drive has only been used with windows pc's. I only connected it to the PS3 to see if it would work.

If you have the opportunity try booting the Windows 7 system into safe mode.
After it is up and running connect the External Drive and see if you have the same problems.
The F:\ is not accessible error doesn't trouble me too much as it may simply be a matter of permissions which can be resolved.
I also get a message saying that the HDD must be formatted in order to be used.
Is the most troubling message followed closely by
'The volume does not contain a recognised file system.
Is there critical important data on the drive?

It's my dads HDD, so unsure of exactly what is on it, but do know there is upwards of 15,000 photos on it along with loads of his documents that he really wants back.

IF you haven't already you might try a repair using the native Disk Checker available in Windows
admin command prompt and type
chkdsk F: /R (where F: is the drive letter windows sees as your external drive)
You may want to use a Windows 8.1 machine for this. It might be my imagination but it seems that the Disk Checker in Windows 8.1 is a bit more robust.

IF you haven't already you might try a repair using the native Disk Checker available in Windows
admin command prompt and type
chkdsk F: /R (where F: is the drive letter windows sees as your external drive)
You may want to use a Windows 8.1 machine for this. It might be my imagination but it seems that the Disk Checker in Windows 8.1 is a bit more robust.

Getting the same message in command prompt. (tried to upload a screenshot, hope its worked!)

Attachments

• cmd.png
    cmd.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 285
Back