Face Tracking without a Kinect

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
Dan Hanan is back and continues to help us development Kinect for Windows v2 device applications without actually having a Kinect for Windows v2 device.

Here's a couple related posts...

Kinect Development (Face tracking) – Without a Kinect

In a previous post I talked about how you can use Kinect Studio v2 Studio software to “play back” a recorded file that contains Kinect data. Your application will react to the incoming data as if it were coming from a Kinect, enabling you to develop software for a Kinect without actually having the device.

This of course requires that you have a recorded file to playback. Keep reading…

More specifically, Kinect for Windows v2 supports the ability to track not only bodies detected in the camera view, but tracking FACES. Even better, there are a number of properties on the detected face metadata that tell you if the person is:

• looking away from the camera
  • happy
  • mouth moving
  • wearing glasses
  • …etc…

Here at IK, we have been doing a lot of Kinect work lately. It turns out the Kinect v2 device and driver are super picky when it comes to compatible USB 3 controllers. We have discovered that our laptops (Dell Precision m4800) do not have one of the approved controllers. Through lots of development trial and error, we have narrowed this down to mostly being a problem only with FACE TRACKING (the rest of the Kinect data and functionality seem to work fine).

So … even though I have a Kinect, if I’m working on face tracking, I’m out of luck on my machine in terms of development. However, using the technique described in the previous post, I can play back a Kinect Studio file and test my software just find.

To that end, we have recorded a short segment of a couple of us in view, with and without faces engaged, happy, looking and not, … and posted it here for anyone to use in their Kinect face tracking software. This recording has all the feeds turned on, including RGB, so it’s a HUGE file. Feel free to download it (below) and use it for your Kinect face tracking development.

DOWNLOAD HERE:... [Click through for the download link]

[GD: Post copied almost in full]

Project Information URL: http://blogs.interknowlogy.com/2015/01/22/kinect-face-tracking-without-a-kinect/

Contact Information:

Follow @CH9
Follow @Coding4Fun
Follow @KinectWindows
Follow @gduncan411

njs.gif

Continue reading...

Back