Windows 8 Failed windows 8 installation

davidc3

I did a stupid thing I have windows 7 installed on my 1gb drive and have a second 2gb drive so I thought I could install windows 8 on the second drive but did not unplug the windows 7 drive anyway the windows 8 installation completed but would not boot up. So now I have to unplug my backup drive to boot up it comes up with the windows 8 sybol and then gives me the option to load my previous windows 7 which load successfully. My question is does any one know how I can get rid of the windows 8 and go back to my normal windows 7 start up. I can then install windows 8 on my second drive with the first drive unplugged.

Kind regards
David

Hi,

you could try this..

Boot into windows 7 and then delete the windows 8 installation either by storage manager or just formatting the drive. You'll then need to reboot and change the bios options to boot from disk. Boot from the windows 7 DVD and instead of re-installing choose repair instead. Once repaired reboot, change boot order back and you should be back to square one hopefully.

Hi,

you could try this..

Boot into windows 7 and then delete the windows 8 installation either by storage manager or just formatting the drive. You'll then need to reboot and change the bios options to boot from disk. Boot from the windows 7 DVD and instead of re-installing choose repair instead. Once repaired reboot, change boot order back and you should be back to square one hopefully.

I tried this and it gave me 2 windows sytems , windows 8 with 0 and windows 7 so I selected windows 7 and did the repair restarted but still got the windows 8 startup menu with the option to press F9 to go to another system any suggestions.

I am not really sure where you are right now, but when you boot a system with Windows 8, it will boot into Windows 8 then give you the option to boot into Windows 7. If you select Windows 7, the system will reboot and be in Windows 7.

You say you have to remove your "backup" drive....which drive is your backup?

Could you take a snipping tool picture of the Disk Management window and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies page. That is the best way for us to see what might be happening.

Back