Windows 8 Fast startup option stops keyboard from working after restart then shutdown

aglet

Windows 8.1. Running standard HID complaint keyboard and driver. When OS is changed to "fast startup" mode and system is restarted (full services), followed by a shut down/ start ( faster - reduced services) the keyboard will not work. Device manager shows it is operating normally. Troubleshooting mode finds nothing. Then if you uninstall and reinstall the keyboard it works fine. Then, as long as you DON'T do a restart (full services boot up), it will continue to work fine on fast startup mode when you do a shut down/ start up. But then as soon as you do a restart (full services boot up), the next time you do a fast "shut down / start up" the keyboard will not work again, unless you either reinstall the keyboard, or do another full services restart, or turn off "fast start".

in fast startup mode -
Restart: Keyboard works
Restart followed by shutdown / startup: Keyboard does not work unless reinstalled

Please advise. Dave

Last edited:
Running standard HID complaint keyboard and driver.

So thats a us keyboard layout with english (US) system-lang and a Microsoft driver? I'm thinking not...

The restart works because windows just stores the settings during a reboot to save some time but when you shut down/ start up it goes to the motherboard and loads some drivers from there or from a special back up part of the hdd (in the case of most laptops)... I would assume one of those drivers is a keyboard driver (perhaps outdated or for different keyboard settings) but close enough that Microsoft lets it get past, hence the problem.

Option 1; get a new keyboard and test that one... I'd do this anyway just to say this keyboard isn't defective.
Option 2; if you really love this keyboard and cann't live without it then replace the hdd with a new blank one and install windows 8.1 onto the system with this keyboard attached during the boot-up process... this should load its driver or you can do it manual during the first start up step.

So thats a us keyboard layout with english (US) system-lang and a Microsoft driver? I'm thinking not...

The restart works because windows just stores the settings during a reboot to save some time but when you shut down/ start up it goes to the motherboard and loads some drivers from there or from a special back up part of the hdd (in the case of most laptops)... I would assume one of those drivers is a keyboard driver (perhaps outdated or for different keyboard settings) but close enough that Microsoft lets it get past, hence the problem.

Option 1; get a new keyboard and test that one... I'd do this anyway just to say this keyboard isn't defective.
Option 2; if you really love this keyboard and cann't live without it then replace the hdd with a new blank one and install windows 8.1 onto the system with this keyboard attached during the boot-up process... this should load its driver or you can do it manual during the first start up step.
It's an English (US) Logitech corded keyboard (very nice recent model with lighted keypad) that works with the Microsoft driver or the Logitech driver - as long as "fast startup" is not used. It has worked for months without an error until fast startup was used. Then I replaced the HID Microsoft driver with the Logitech one, made absolutely no difference. I see others have reported this same problem on other Windows 8 forums - so far only solution I've seen is to turn off "fast startup". Desktop computer - Acer - only a few months old. It does not need a new hard drive. This is Microsofts problem.

Then I replaced the HID Microsoft driver with the Logitech one, made absolutely no difference.
Is the Logitech driver signed for 8.1?
Does it come with some extra software... perhaps some type of macro mapper for the keys?
What error message is generated in the event log when the driver fails?
Screenshot (133).png

p.s. Yippe, Mike has the image uploader fixed!

Back