FedEx

seekermeister

Honorable Member
Somewhat to my surprise, because of the reputation of FedEx, I've been having some delivery problems with them. Of course, the degree of the problem varies, depending on the person making the deliveries, and it not always obvious who that person is, when they don't knock on the door, and leave the package outside.

That is what apparently happened last week, when a package that tracking said was left outside my door wasn't there. I contacted the shipper, and they sent me a replacement of the shipment the next day. I guess it caused that delivery driver some problems, because two more shipments were scheduled to arrive the next day, but only one was delivered. Oddly, even though I met the driver at the door, he scanned a blank delivery notification and taped it to one of the boxes, then looking at me suspiciously, asked if I had a pickup for him. I was puzzled at the time, but when I said no, he turned and left.

It wasn't until after his departure that I remembered the shipment that he didn't deliver, and checked the tracking on it. It had two exceptions listed, one that said that I wasn't present to accept the shipment, and second that said that no delivery attempt was made, without stating the reason. Both of those exception were for about the time of day that he actually did deliver the other shipment mentioned, so neither of them had any justification.

I'm still waiting for that package to arrive, apparently today. The delay isn't really all that important, except that when a package is scheduled to be delivered, it requires me to be at home and awake, and having to do that more than once for just one delivery is very annoying.

The reason for my rambling is that I'm wondering just how commonplace this type is situation is with FedEx for others? I would opt to use another carrier, but too often sellers don't permit their customers that option.

Last edited:
After checking tracking, just a few minutes ago, and finding it marked with another exception, saying that no one was home, I got on the telephone on their support line and discussed the problem with a rep., but all she could come up with was a bunch of excuses. She finally spoke with the driver, which I later found out was new on the route, and it sounded like he didn't know how to use a call-box to gain entry to the building. He tried to say that the call-box didn't work, but what it appears to be is that he didn't know to push the call button, after punching in the apt. number. The bottom line is that I have to spend another long day waiting and hoping that he can remember the instructions that I gave.

It wouldn't be so bad, if they kept the same driver on the route regularly, but they don't. The only person that nearly always delivers regularly here is the mailman, and he even has his own key to the door, but sometimes shippers just won't use USPS.

It's difficult to believe the incompetence. I checked tracking a little while ago, and it shows the package as being delivered today and signed for by someone that I don't know, and doesn't live in this building. I filed a case with FedEx, and advised the shipper, but at this point I have no idea of how it will be resolved. The only resolution that I have made is not to order anything from anybody that might possibly use FedEx. It's either going to be USPS or UPS from here on out.

I just got a call from FedEx, saying that they had a package for me that they couldn't deliver, and what I wanted to do about it. Since I wasn't expecting any packages from anyone, I started asking questions, and as it turns out, it was the package that I started this thread about. I was especially surprised that they had no idea of how it got back into their system, since tracking showed it delivered, but to someone I don't know, and doesn't live in this complex.

I was relieved to hear that the driver involved with all of this is no longer with FedEx, it makes it a little easier with some sellers that will only ship via FedEx.

Ups is worse, they loose packages, deliver to the wrong address and i cringe everytime i order a computer for a client praying it does not come in smashed

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

Every company has times when things go wrong, and UPS is no exception. The true problem is with some individuals employed by them, that for various reasons mess things up. I don't know about UPS, but FedEx uses contract carriers, and it is those contractors that cause the problems, because of a lack of training of personnel, and proper supervision and oversight. I have had some problems with every carrier, but personally I have found UPS to be preferable to the others.
It is very fortunate that FedEx called me yesterday, because I would never have ordered anything from any vendor that didn't give me the option to use some other means of shipping than FedEx, until I knew that particular driver was no longer around. Each carrier has certain advantages and disadvantages, and FedEx is no exception to the rule.

The thing that I dislike most, is most deliveries are shipped without the shipper requiring a signature on delivery, and that leaves it to the discretion of the drivers to leave a package at the door, rather than making additional attempts to deliver it person. That leaves the "door" open for all kinds of things to go wrong.

Funny i have had more problems with ups than fedex, dell no longer uses ups for their computer deliveres because they got too many returns from damaged computers, they only use ups now for small stuff

I've never had a problem with damaged shipments with any of the carriers, but then I never order complete computers, only components, which of course come as smaller packages.

And the beat goes on...I had two more packages scheduled to be delivered today by FedEx, and I got exception notices on both of them, 41 minutes apart, saying that "the customer was not available". I called them on the first notice and discussed the problem, and was told that they "may" try to redeliver it today. I spoke with a different representative on a second call to see if I could verify what I was told, that the driver that I had the previous experience with was no longer with Fedex, but this rep couldn't tell me one way or the other, except to say that this driver has only worked for FedEx for 3 weeks, but that time frame includes the date of the problems I had before.

Apparently, the second exception was by a different driver, since it occurred at a later interval, which leaves me wondering why two different drivers wouldn't be able to deliver to me, when I sit "patiently" 2 feet from the telephone, and ~10 feet from the door? There is no possible explanation except that they are trying to deliver to the wrong address, they can't operate the callbox for entry, or they simply don't want to deliver the items.

If this isn't resolved today, I shall rule out ordering from any shipper that doesn't have an option other than FedEx.

Well, one of the two packages showed up. I asked the deliveryman why he couldn't deliver it earlier, and from his response, I gathered that he was the supervisor, rather than the first driver. Apparently, he didn't even find the main entrance, but went around knocking on outside doors. How he expected to find me that way, I have absolutely no idea, because I live on the second floor, and there is no way to knock on my outside door, unless he brought a rope and grappling hook along with him to climb up to the balcony. The outside doors aren't even numbered. I'm beginning to wonder where FedEx finds it's drivers? The other package never made it, with luck, maybe it will tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom