Windows 7 File association in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Rushd

Hello,

Ok, here is my problem
Each time i open a .exe file it opens with Notepad, and i see some ASCII code!
now, i searched many forums, and they all says "Open Regedit" and bla bla bla".. or "Open cmd and bla bla bla".. ok that's amazing
BUT!
regedit.EXE, and cmd.EXE are .EXE files.. when i open the run box, type in regedit it opens a notepad, again with ASCII..
I tried to:
- Start >> Default Programs >> Associate a file type or protocol to a program >> but there is no .exe entry!

i guess the way to fix has something to do with the regedit, in order to change tha value associated with .exe files but since i cant open regedit.EXE i need a file that is not EXE which will modify the registry entry! i forgot the name of that file! is it .DAT? o_O

anyway, i would really appreciate it if someone can help me with an answer here :s coz i really don't feel like reinstalling.

P.S1: No, i don't have a restore point, and even if i had i cant open the restore application coz its a .exe
P.S2: I opened the Explorer by typing the URL in the my computer folder, coz again, the explorer is .exe file :/

many many many thanks in advance
Rushd

Hello,

Ok, here is my problem
Each time i open a .exe file it opens with Notepad, and i see some ASCII code!
now, i searched many forums, and they all says "Open Regedit" and bla bla bla".. or "Open cmd and bla bla bla".. ok that's amazing
BUT!
regedit.EXE, and cmd.EXE are .EXE files.. when i open the run box, type in regedit it opens a notepad, again with ASCII..
I tried to:
- Start >> Default Programs >> Associate a file type or protocol to a program >> but there is no .exe entry!

i guess the way to fix has something to do with the regedit, in order to change tha value associated with .exe files but since i cant open regedit.EXE i need a file that is not EXE which will modify the registry entry! i forgot the name of that file! is it .DAT? o_O

anyway, i would really appreciate it if someone can help me with an answer here :s coz i really don't feel like reinstalling.

P.S1: No, i don't have a restore point, and even if i had i cant open the restore application coz its a .exe
P.S2: I opened the Explorer by typing the URL in the my computer folder, coz again, the explorer is .exe file :/

many many many thanks in advance
Rushd

And you can't do "SFC /SCANNOW" because SFC is an exe and you can't upgrade on top of yourself because SETUP.EXE is an exe. IMHO, the best you can do, considering your registry is hosed and you have problematic system files, is to do a custom install on top of the existing partition saving your data in windows.old. Before you go that Draconian, you might try a system repair booting to your install disk but I doubt that will address your problems. One final thought, MAYBE you installed a program that screwed your file associations and removing that program MIGHT clean things up. (Just a thought)

In the future do an image backup to an external drive so you have a fall-back if this somehow happens again.

Last edited:
I don't get it.

One; 'Rushd' can't or hasn't simply typed in "regredit" in the run box, or if so, maybe that doesn't access regedit?

Two; On my W7P system, the old 'file manager' hidden away now in 'default programs' and 'associate a file...') should be accessible/useful to Rushd.

In my case, I happened across this string while I was (still am) trying to disacciciate my .dat files with my media player, but woa be it to W7 users because no longer do we find the option to associate an assicaited file type back to "none" (as .dat files are supposed to be).

Last edited:
As for the now months old post, likely things were resolved, but again I don't know why it wasn't mentioned that there are means to restore file assn's to defaults.

So even if Rushd was actually locked out from using regedit, I think one could still have found a download source for a default dile assn's (in a reg. type file) so the default assn's could have been simply 'run' on Rushd's system.

Again, as for my own related issue, I've since discovered that my .dat files had errantly been re-associated by my media player's default file assn's (for which I've now resolved by unticking the player's assn box that denoted "dat files" which restored the dat file assn's to 'none').

Back