Windows 7 Files Write Protected

I continued to have the same problem and eventually moved all the data off the drive and decided to just use it as a (probably unreliable) backup. To be clear, I have 7 drives plus a system disk on this machine. 3 + system are internal connected via SATA and four are external all via USB. I have two 1TB externals that have had no problems and an older WD 250GB that doesn't have the problem. None of the internals - all WD - have had the problem either. I suppose it's conceivable that it's mobo related but it seems rather unlikely. Further, it appears that johno7 is running a Seagate (?) so it's happening across manufacturers.

Can't wait to see this thread light up on October 23rd.

Further down the spiral...

Hi guys and gals,

I have spent the last week researching and troubleshooting this "Write Protected" problem. I am at a complete loss.

First my laptop specs:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz 4.5 2.8

Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Graphics Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Gaming graphics 358 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 28GB Free (149GB Total)
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model Compaq Presario A900 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 447 GB
Disk partition (C: ) 28 GB Free (149 GB Total)
Media drive (D: ) CD/DVD
Media drive (E: ) CD/DVD
Disk partition (F: ) 298 GB Free (298 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 358 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB
Dedicated system memory 64 MB
Shared system memory 294 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1825
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

I am now running Windows 7 build 7100

Ok this is my problem:

I have been using my Maxtor Basics Portable external USB Hard Drive(300GB) ever since the Windows 7 pre-release. I bought it brand new then.

Everything has been working fine. I have used the Maxtor Basics Portable to transfer files and store files with no problems. Until last week. When transferring a file to the Maxtor Basics Portable I got the message, "Disk is Write Protected".

I have tried all of the "fixes" in this forum and many other fixes as well. None of them worked. Ok here is the weird thing. On this laptop i cannot format, disk check(with fix errors checked), change permissions etc.

However, on my Acer netbook with the exact same Windows 7 build, everything is fine. I was even able to format my Maxtor Basics Portable after backing up all of the files on another computer.

I still am unable to write to my Maxtor Basics Portable and as this is my primary laptop it is necessary for me to resolve this issue.

I am running out of space in my laptop.

I look forward to your combined expertise and the solution to this ridiculous issue.

Cheers,
Jaime

Back