Windows 7 Finger Scanner on Laptop - useful?

gothsleepy1

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new laptop and I've noticed a few models that come with a finger scanner for encryption. Do they really help to keep the computer secure? I'm not too sure on the reliability or how they are used - is it just hardware or is there some sort of imaging software involved? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

The most important security with regards to laptops must be physical security. Its difficult to steal a desktop because they are large and weigh too much, but with a laptop you just need to pick it up and take it. Once someone has stolen a laptop, chances are they will either find a way into it to steal the data, or they will just replace the hard-drive and by-pass the BIOS security. So making sure it isn't stolen in the first place should be the first priority. Then you can think about installing security software like encryption and fingerprint scanners.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new laptop and I've noticed a few models that come with a finger scanner for encryption. Do they really help to keep the computer secure? I'm not too sure on the reliability or how they are used - is it just hardware or is there some sort of imaging software involved? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

I've seen a few reports where those fingerprint scanners don't work so well and you end up getting locked out your own computer!
I guess it comes down to wading through reviews especially by end users and not just some journo'..

i have a fingerprint reader on my laptop, i could not live without it, my mate tryed to get access to my laptop on a drinking binge round mine but couldnt figure out why his fingerprint wasnt working, also my laptop was stolen in startbucks but it was found and returned noone could access it.

Back