Windows 7 Fingerprint reader not working

Cosmocat

I have a Microsoft fingerprint reader. I had to do a full install of Windows 7, so I have to reinstall everything. I reinstalled the fingerprint reader software, but it won't let me register my fingerprints. First it wants me to put in my Windows password and I don't have one (it's never asked me for this before), so I just ignore it and click next. When I click on the fingers to register each one, it won't take.

I upgraded from vista and the fingerprint reader works great. But in another installation of windows 7 from scratch, it happened as cosmocat said.
The driver works, the finger is read but you cannot register your fingers as the wizzard will lose focus when a finger is read.
I'm using digital persona password manager 2.0.1. Does anyone tried and successfully installed any other software such as U ar U or someting like that?

Regards
Julián

Hi All - I'm using digital persona workstation. The reader works fine as far as logging into the PC, but it has problems when creating logins for web sites. I'll create the login and then go back to the site and it wants to create the login all over again even though I can see the login in the fingerprint mananger. Was thinking about uninstalling/reinstalling the digital persona software later today.

Hi everybody ! :)

I have exactly the same Cosmochat 's problem :

i have the digitalfingerprint of microsoft ! :)
the program seems work but i can 't register my fingerprints ... GRRRRRRRRRR

( with digital persona password manager 2.0.1 )

i try with "compatibility" windows XP or vista .... and Rien,Niet, nada, nothing ....

i dont know what to do ! is someone here can help me please ?

@++

re ! :) i find a solution for finger print reader of microsoft ! :)

do what Ilovewindows7 say ( + dont forget to restart your PC !! ) :

i have a microsoft windows finger print reader and i installed the latest drivers from digital personas website then i went into C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin find all the EXE files in this folder and then right click choose properties. on the compatibility tab, click on change settings for all users, then on run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows Vista. these are the executables needed to be changed.

DPAgnt.exe
DPConsol.exe
DPExpImp.exe
DpFpLogonManager.exe
DpHost.exe
DPRunDll.exe
DPWinLct.exe

now it works to login but, it will not work with internet explorer im going to see if i can get it working but i need other input im only one 23 year old with one brain help me out. thanks

http://goblacklist.free.fr/

Last edited:
Digital Persona Fingerprint reader and Windows 7

It seems a few people have figured out that the program needs to run in "Vista" compatibility mode (I tried "Vista SP2" and that did not work; I did not try Vista SP1 as I was getting too frustrated with the whole thign).

One point I noticed which many be important:

after the DigitalPersona 2.0.1 Manager is finished with its installation, it puts a popup on the screen asking to reboot. I did not answer, I just left the popup on the screen, then I went to C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin and changed all 7 EXE files to run in "Vista compatibility" mode after (important) first clicking on the "Change settings for all users" button. I also selected "Run as administrator" (important). Once all 7 files were done, I went back to the Reboot popup and said Yes.

After reboot, the fingerprint reader works as expected, starting with the Registration screen. I even imported all my passwords from my Vista partition using the Import wizard. All seems well... at long last. I hope this helps everyone...

Excellent ! :) Thx Jnd !! You are a genius ! :)

With your methods , my finger print reader ( microsoft ) works correctly !
I do exactely what you say ... now, i can import datas ....

All is ok ! Thx again Jnd ! :)

Ps : i would like to use my fingerprint with mozilla firefox 3.0.7 ( instead internet explorer ... )
I dont know if it s possible ... maybe not ... if someone has an idea .. :)

Last edited:
Digital Persona 2.0.1 Manager Won't Install on Windows 7 Build 7260

As more Windows 7 builds became available on the torrent sites, I've been installing them to see if the Digital Persona 2.0.1 Manager would continue to work.

Up to build 7227 (that's what I'm on right now) the Digital Persona "installer" worked and my little procedure (see my previous post) has allowed me to use my fingerprint reader. Some times, I have not been able to "export" my passwords in a file, something I do after I add a new password so I can re-import all my password when I install a new build of Windows 7. The export-import has worked so far on build 7227.

When I installed Windows 7 build 7260, the Digital Persona 2.0.2 "installer" refused to launch, telling me that it was not designed to work on this version of Windows. Just to be clear, I tried the installer on a fresh installation of build 7260. Nothing I tried worked, including changing the properties of the "installer" so it would run in Vista (or XP) compatibility mode an lowering the UAC to the minimum.

The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft changed something in the registry of build 7260, something the Digital Peronsa installer checks for.

Anyone has any insight on this? I'll try to install build 7264 and see if that problem has disappeared. I hope someone at Microsoft reads this and makes sure the Digital Persona 2.0.1 "installer" continues to work on the final version of Windows 7 because I just pre-ordered Win7 Pro on Amazon and it would be a real bummer if I lost this feature since I have the Microsoft keyboard with the fingerprint reader included in it. I understand if Microsoft does not want to do anything more with this product since it's now discontinued but at the very least they should make sure they next OS, which looks reaaaaaly good, allows the Digital Persona 2.0.1 installer to run in compatibility mode.

I finally got it to work in Windows 7 32-bit build 7100. Here is what I did:

• Download version 2.01 of DigitalPersona software
  • Install on existing system
  • Export data
  • Boot into Win7
  • Install 2.01
  • Reboot
  • Reset properties for each of 7 EXE files
  • Reboot
  • Register a finger print
  • Import data saved in step 3
Step 1:

Download from here:

http://download.cnet.com/DigitalPersona-Password-Manager/3000-18501_4-201746.html

Step 3:

Export is available as an icon choice in the system tray. Save to a file for use in Step 10.

Step 7:

The run properties for each of the 7 EXE files in the DigitalPersona install need to be adjusted. The files are:
DPAgnt.exe
DPConsol.exe
DPExpImp.exe
DpFpLogonManager.exe
DpHost.exe
DPRunDll.exe
DPWinLct.exe

Select each and set as follows:
  • Compatibility tab
  • Press “Change settings for all usersâ€Â￾
  • Select run in Vista mode
  • Select run at admin near bottom
Repeat for each of the 7 EXE files

FYI, I did a clean install of Win7, making it a dual boot with my existing XP Pro SP3 install. When the dust settled, the Microsoft FingerPrint Reader works fine in Windows 7 and has all the same settings and web sites as it did before in XP Pro

Ed, you're right when it comes to Windows 7 build 7100 and build 7227. Unfortunately, when I tried that on build 7260, the Digital Persona software refused to install. I'll see if it works with build 7264 and post the results here.

Digital Persona 2.0.1 Manager Won't Install on Windows 7 Build 7264

Well... no luck installing it on build 7264 wither. Here's what I get:

E:\Users\jndrouin\Pictures\DigitalPersona_doesnotinstall_on_build_7264.jpg

jnd!

I have the same problem, it worked on the win 7 rc1 version but not on the rtm, have you found any solution to this yet???

Fingerprint reader not working.

Unfortunately, no solution in sight. DigitalPersona says that v2.0.1 was built by a different company and is therefore not-compatible with v4 which they now sell. They don't have any plans to have a fix done on v2.0.1. They encourage people to buy their new fingerprint reader (swipe) and offer a special discount to those who have the Microsoft fingerprint reader. One more point: v4.0 is not compatible with v2.0.1 when it comes to export/import so you'll have to reprogram your passwords from scracth.

I could have continued to harp on this but there comes a time when you have to give up on a battle you can't win. So I finally bit the bullet and bought the v4 reader from DigitalPersona (58 CAN$ software + new swipe fingerprint reader). Works fine with Win7600 so I can only assume it'll work fine with Win7 commercial release. DigitalPersona are in BETA test with Win7 so they'll probably issue a v4.x version once they've passed MS approval. I'm quite happy with the way the reader works (swipe instead of press). Also, the User Interface of V4 has been improved in my opinion, or to put an other way, I found it easy to understand and work with.

Good luck.

jnd!

exactly what new swipe fingerprint reader did you buy? and it works perfectly with DigitalPersona v4 software and win 7 7600 build ? how does a swipe reader work ?

edit: is it this one on the left side of the page?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I bought the reader from DigitalPersona (follow the link in my previous post). "swipe" because you swipe your finger over the reader. The Microsoft reader is a "touch" reader, i.e. you have to put your finger on it or touch it completely with your finger. Hope this helps.

I have the solution !!!

Hello,

I have the solution for this problem!!

It was very difficult but I have done it!

1. Install Windows 7 Release Candidate (my version is 7100)

2. Install DigitalPersona 2.0 ( It possible to install in this version of Windows 7)

3. do what Ilovewindows7 say ( + dont forget to restart your PC !! ) :

i have a microsoft windows finger print reader and i installed the latest drivers from digital personas website then i went into C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin find all the EXE files in this folder and then right click choose properties. on the compatibility tab, click on change settings for all users, then on run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows Vista. Also make that will be startet as "ADMINISTRATOR" these are the executables needed to be changed.

DPAgnt.exe
DPConsol.exe
DPExpImp.exe
DpFpLogonManager.exe
DpHost.exe
DPRunDll.exe
DPWinLct.exe

4. Then go back to Installiton Window an click "Restart Windows"

5. Windows 7 starts again.

6. Shutdown Windows 7 an restart

7. The Login with Fingerprint works!

8. Get the Windows 7 RTM Iso-Image, an save it to Desktop

9. Download 7-Zip (Freeware)

10. Extract the Windows 7 RTM-Image to desktop

11. Go to the extractet Windows 7 to directory sources

Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad

Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000

Save the file in place with the same name.

15. Start the setup.exe from the Windows 7 RTM DVD an choose Upgrade Installation

15. The compatibility check will done and you can upgrade your Windows 7 RC to Windows RTM !

16. Ignore the warning because Digital Persona Software will not work with Windows 7

17. Windows 7 RTM Version will be installed OVER the RC Version

18. After Installing is complete go to the directory C:/Prog/DigitalPerson/bin an click right to
the dpagent.exe

19. There is a catch on ( Running as Adminstrator) Delete it!

20. Start new again!

21. you have it ! It works properly with Internet Explorer

22. To use Fingerprint Reader with Firefox download extencsion "Fingerfox SE "

22. Good luck! Sorry because my english not very well but I`m from German!

Greetings

sorportium

It`s a little to much hassle and I don`t want to uppgrade from RC to RTM, I want a clean install! if there only was a way to FORCE install DigitalPersona 2.01 it might work as it does on the RC version, anyone know how to disable win 7 RTM from not installing incomparable drivers ??? or maybe you can slipstream DigitalPersona 2.01 in the win 7 DVD to force install ???

Last edited:
i have hp pavilion dv7 installed windows 7 had issues with finger reader digital persona using lastest persona 4.0.1 windows 7 ultimate 64 bit you have to find where software is installed mine was c;/swsetup/sp43883/setup and right click run as administrator and it worked.:rolleyes:

i have hp pavilion dv7 installed windows 7 had issues with finger reader digital persona using lastest persona 4.0.1 windows 7 ultimate 64 bit you have to find where software is installed mine was c;/swsetup/sp43883/setup and right click run as administrator and it worked.

Thanks for all the research and insight. I was able to install the DigitalPersona Password Manager in Windows 7 (32-bit retail) and have documented the process here:

blogfeld: How to Use a Microsoft (DigitalPersona) Fingerprint Reader in Windows 7

Hope others find it useful.

I took the blogfeld's steps a little further and built an installer that will install the drivers in Windows 7 (32 bits).

You can find it at http://pjondevelopment.50webs.com/blog/2009/12/installing-microsoft-fingerprint-reader.html

Back