Windows 7 Firefox download *.part undeletable

Will Bennion

Hi,
I have a small problem. There is a program I was downloading with Firefox however it failed to work. It created a *.part file on the desktop, however this file is undeletable. It says I require administrator status (even though I am using the Admin account, as I am the only user) and that I don't have permission to delete it. I've tried using cmd.exe, I've tried closing Firefox, I've tried rebooting but nothing seems to work. I've also tried changing it's properties but again the same message:
You need permission to perform that action
You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file
Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Wibble199

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but it seems mine did about the same thing today. I deleted the *.part, which I was able to do but got a message a little later about it, which I ignored.

Have you tried opening the download window and remove that download from the list. Probably something has a tie to that file and will not allow it to be deleted. It also seems Firefox 4 has a download manager, but I can find no information about it, if there is one.

If that doesn't work, possibly clearing the history or some other history type information.

Have you tried opening the download window and remove that download from the list.
Yes, I usually keep my download list pretty empty.

It also seems Firefox 4 has a download manager, but I can find no information about it, if there is one.
I prefer Firefox 3, so I don't think you can call that much of a download manager.

If that doesn't work, possibly clearing the history or some other history type information.
Just tried that now but still no luck.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I just confirmed Firefox 4 has some type of download manager, and I assume 3 does also. I had a partial download (.part) and rebooted my system. When I restarted Firefox, the download continued.

The fact there may be a download manager, is not important except that it might, and probably have control over the partial download until it is completed.

Since I do not yet know what tracks the partial downloads, I cannot suggest other actions to try to remove the file, except, maybe let it finish.

Well, more information. In Firefox 4 and possibly 3, the information about the download seems to be kept in the following folder.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q5uicbnv.default\

It may be a little different, but see if you can find such a thing.

The last thing the download did was to rename the .part file to the name of the original download. Maybe renaming yours would allow for deletion.

Back
Top Bottom