Windows 7 Fix for Network connection properties

yaroyo

I want to change DNS address
but when in "Network connection properties" I select
the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) line
the Properties button is not active
and I can not click it to open and change the DNS address.

Also I see now that Properties button is inactive for all the other lines too..

I can't find the reason of that..
Did I restrict something by mistake? or is it another problem..

I'm on Windows 7 Home Professional..

Please Help me to fix this situation..

N.Properties.png

Attachments

• Properties.png
    Properties.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
In the picture, you have the Microsoft Networks highlighted instead of the IPv4. Maybe that is what you mean by it is inactive for all the lines.

Is the Atheros adapter a Bluetooth device? My Bluetooth shows "not connected" and all the lines are inactive as yours shows. I do not use Bluetooth for network activity, so I do not know what it should say if I was.

In the picture, you have the Microsoft Networks highlighted instead of the IPv4. Maybe that is what you mean by it is inactive for all the lines.

Is the Atheros adapter a Bluetooth device? My Bluetooth shows "not connected" and all the lines are inactive as yours shows. I do not use Bluetooth for network activity, so I do not know what it should say if I was.

Sorry Saltgrass, it was a wrong picture..
now I upload the right one..

Well, you still show the Microsoft Client Networks selected and the properties is inactive as it should be. If you were to select the IPv4, is it still inactive? If you uncheck and recheck the box, does it change because mine will show inactive if the box in unchecked and active with it checked.

I suppose double clicking IPv4 does not do anything?

When you right click the adapter, there is a Diagnose option...

If it is inactive and you cannot install, then I think my next option would be to use the configure button to update the drivers for the adapter. When I install Windows 7 on this (new) computer, it does not have the Network Adapter drivers and I have to load them from the motherboard CD.

Well, you still show the Microsoft Client Networks selected and the properties is inactive as it should be. If you were to select the IPv4, is it still inactive? If you uncheck and recheck the box, does it change because mine will show inactive if the box in unchecked and active with it checked.

I suppose double clicking IPv4 does not do anything?

When you right click the adapter, there is a Diagnose option...

If it is inactive and you cannot install, then I think my next option would be to use the configure button to update the drivers for the adapter. When I install Windows 7 on this (new) computer, it does not have the Network Adapter drivers and I have to load them from the motherboard CD.

- Before the problem Properties was always active and I could use it
- Yes, as in the picture IPv4 is still inactive
- The box is locked, so I can't recheck or uncheck
- Yes, double clicking IPv4 does not do anything
- When I click the adapter, the Diagnose doesn't find a problem
- In device manager I checked but it says o update for it

Last edited:
I can only suggest some things, which can only be guesses.

Does Event Viewer show any errors or warnings concerning your network situation?

Try opening an Administrative Command Prompt and typing SFC /scannnow and let it finish. Perhaps some system file has been corrupted and this will find and repair it.

Try removing and reinstalling the Network adapter in Device Manager. If for some reason the drivers have become corrupt this will replace them.

I do not know of a virus that would cause such a problem, but perhaps doing a scan would find something.

Do you have any other software that might effect your network connectivity, perhaps even some type of media streaming utility?

I can only suggest some things, which can only be guesses.

Does Event Viewer show any errors or warnings concerning your network situation?

Try opening an Administrative Command Prompt and typing SFC /scannnow and let it finish. Perhaps some system file has been corrupted and this will find and repair it.

Try removing and reinstalling the Network adapter in Device Manager. If for some reason the drivers have become corrupt this will replace them.

I do not know of a virus that would cause such a problem, but perhaps doing a scan would find something.

Do you have any other software that might effect your network connectivity, perhaps even some type of media streaming utility?

I have done all suggestions, the situation still remain the same.
Thanks again..

Back