Windows 8 Flash lagging with Win8

justlikeme

Hey!

I just happened to switch over to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. I previously had WinXP SP3.
Now, i have an old laptop: Core2Duo T5200 1,6 GHz, Intel GMA 950 (256 MB) and 2 GB DDR2.

The problem is after switching to Win8 YouTube videos lag in normal view (480p, 720p, doesn't matter), and they stop logging after going full-screen. But i rarely watch things in full-screen. With WinXP videos were smooth and no lagging occured.

I have the latest Flash, latest updates, latest GPU drivers (considering Intel stopped offering ones back in 2009, so i used the ones Win Update offered). Is it because my rig is too old, and this Metro interface is eating up much of the GPU/CPU?

Window 8/8.1 is designed for the lesser powered CPU's...like the atom line on tablets. That being said, I'd try going back to the 2009 intel GPU driver and see how that does for awhile. What browser are you using to watch the youtube video's? Have you tried using a different browser?

Firefox as well as Chrome are "hacking" with Flash videos. The bundled in IE11 plays them smooth. But i don't like IE, and i guess it's in a way logical as it's integrated with the system core, thus being "faster"?

I'll try reverting back to Intel drivers.

Are you using the latest browser versions for Chrome/Firefox? Do you have any plugins or extensions installed on said browsers? My hunch is telling me it's a flash issue with in the browser. Try uninstalling Chrome and Firefox and then reinstalling and then check the video playback.

That's not the case. I was posting this right after clean Win8 install. Chrome and Firefox use their plug-in-type Flash plugin, but for IE11 you have to install the offline version. Maybe this has an effect?

That's not the case. I was posting this right after clean Win8 install. Chrome and Firefox use their plug-in-type Flash plugin, but for IE11 you have to install the offline version. Maybe this has an effect?

Also, as my GPU supports WDDM 1.0 only, it can still slow down Flash and other things. WDDM 1.2 greatly improved the performance in Aero/Metro interface.

Back