Windows 7 Flight Simulator X - problem after recent update

Polly Conroy

FSX has been running on the laptop I use, Win 7 for some time, 32 bit.

However, following a recent Win 7 update, an issue has developed. FSX opens OK, I can select a mission or free flight or whatevrer and the game launches OK. But, within about 10 to 20 seconds, the screen display disappears to show the desktop and it becomes impossible to get the game back.

Thus far, my only solution has been to restore the laptop to an earlier time and that is OK, except of course that windows still wants me to run the update.

Has anyone else been having this problem or got any ideas for a fix, please?

Polly

I recommend you repair your installation or reinstall it you can disable certain updates by right clicking on them and clicking hide update

Thanks for the suggestion.

I opted for a reinstall and, having restored my laptop to a pre-update point, and disabled updates for now, it hasn't changed a thing, sadly.

I have also tried a solution found elsewhere - disabling all non MS shell extensions - also to no effect.

So...not the updates then.

Any software installed (I was trying REX) has also be rolled back by the restore.

The problem 'feels' video issues in nature - on occasion, I have had a brief flash of the game screen. But, the problem is also very recent.

Any more thoughts?

Polly

does your pc meet the system requirements here?

Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista / Windows 7
PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
14 GB available hard disk space
DVD-ROM drive
32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required
Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz
4.0 GB (3.86 GB usable)
150 GB free
DVD drive
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (1024 MB & DirectX 11)
Sound card, mouse and broadband

...and the laptop has been running with no real problems for at least 2 months to my knowledge, probably longer.

Polly

maybe it's your antivirus popping up in the background. If your antivirus has a game mode turn it on.

AVG Free and Game Mode is on by default. I am logging off for the day now, but I will try it tomorrow with the AV turned off...you never know...

Found the problem. A process with the name of MobileBroadband.exe, courtesy of a Vodafone dongle.

I still don't really understand why, because the Vodafone's software has been there all along while I have been using the laptop, but I have recently come back to the UK after a 2 month absence, so perhaps it was one of their updates to 'give me a better service'.

Anyway, job done. Thank you for all your suggestions. :)

Well, I would, except for needing mobile broadband for time to time.

For now, I have just stopped it from launching such a badly designed background process at start up...actually, a lot of these background processes that various manufacturers are so fond of are a waste of resources and lengthening start up for no real benefit. /shrug

Back
Top Bottom