Windows 7 Folder turned into a 0KB file?

If I am looking at the correct Linksys device, the last firmware release was in 2005. Since the device has built-in utilities for formatting and setup, if you haven't gotten a newer firmware update, perhaps it just isn't compatible with Windows 7?

You might see if it can be run in some type of compatibility mode.

Windows 7 Compatibility for Storage Devices: Network Attached Storage Hardware: Download Device Drivers

No it's model number is: NSLU2.

It is comptiable (I would say) because I have been using it with Windows 7 for about two years now - this being my first problem.

Well, one (maybe 2) final questions and then I am done. Was the file on the drive before you formatted it with the Linksys device? You have only mentioned the one folder, I assume you can write and read to the device otherwise?

This probably sounds dumb, but since the format from the device is not compatible with Windows, I just had to check.

Well, one (maybe 2) final questions and then I am done. Was the file on the drive before you formatted it with the Linksys device? You have only mentioned the one folder, I assume you can write and read to the device otherwise?

This probably sounds dumb, but since the format from the device is not compatible with Windows, I just had to check.

No it wasn't. I formatted it right out of the box. And yes, I can add/delete any other folder in it.

See if you look here, it says I don't have permissions JUST for that folder/file. Permissions.png

Your earlier snippit shows the file is read only, can you change that?

If you open properties and look at the security tab, can you change the permissions, and if not, can you tell who is owner in the advanced owners tab?

Your earlier snippit shows the file is read only, can you change that?

No I can't. This is what happens:

Error.png

If you open properties and look at the security tab, can you change the permissions, and if not, can you tell who is owner in the advanced owners tab?

When I go to change them (ie. check the box for full permission) and push save, then open it up again, all the boxes are unchecked.

Here is a screenie to show you the advanced owner tab:

Owner.png

You might check some of the folders you can access and compare the two. The way you would normally give everyone a read permission would be to take ownership, OK back out of the dialog, then go back and set the permissions. But since this file might be different because of the video content, I hate to suggest it.

There a several security settings in the user's manual, maybe one of those would allow you to put yourself in a group that could access the folder.

Same thing just happened to another folder...

Programs....png

This can't happened to my iTunes folder... 8,000 songs shared by 3 users...

Any help guys? This is getting bad...

I know both ports on the Linksys are supposed to support hard drives, but have you tried the other port? Is there anything in common with the two files that have misbehaved?

Have you tried copying one to another location to check?

Could anyone else accessing the drive have a virus? Do you know who accessed the drive?

I know both ports on the Linksys are supposed to support hard drives, but have you tried the other port? Is there anything in common with the two files that have misbehaved?

The only thing common was that I copied the files inside that folders often and they both were of an ample size folders(15+ GB at least).

Have you tried copying one to another location to check?

If you read the other posts, you see I don't have "admin privileges" for those folder (but I do for every other folder/file in the hard drive.

Could anyone else accessing the drive have a virus? Do you know who accessed the drive?

No, just my family accesses it.

If you read the other posts, ...QUOTE]
Uhmmm....What should I make of this comment...

The folder you posted the details for stated the \root had ownership of the folder. I have to assume since you have been using this device for two years, you are familar with this situation. I cannot go through the permissions in the Owners manual and try to check what may need changing since I do not have a device like yours. It seems like a good device to have, but something seems to have changed recently that is causing problems.

I asked you earlier if there was a difference in the folders that exhibit the problem and those that do not. Since you state those are the only folders you do not have admin privledges for, I would think that is a clue. Why do those folders show ownership as \root if none of the others do.

Right now, I am limited to suggesting perhaps the size of the folder might be involved or the content. Can you see anything that might suggest folder size in relevant to your problem. If it isn't the size of the files in the folder or the content, or the fact they are not on the computer that originated them, I would suggest you go back to the manufacturer and see if they have seen any problems with the device.

You may be able to copy a folder to another location, even though you do not have ownership or permissions. Someone set the files to read only..was it you?

If you read the other posts, ...QUOTE]
Uhmmm....What should I make of this comment...

The folder you posted the details for stated the \root had ownership of the folder. I have to assume since you have been using this device for two years, you are familar with this situation. I cannot go through the permissions in the Owners manual and try to check what may need changing since I do not have a device like yours. It seems like a good device to have, but something seems to have changed recently that is causing problems.

I asked you earlier if there was a difference in the folders that exhibit the problem and those that do not. Since you state those are the only folders you do not have admin privledges for, I would think that is a clue. Why do those folders show ownership as \root if none of the others do.

Right now, I am limited to suggesting perhaps the size of the folder might be involved or the content. Can you see anything that might suggest folder size in relevant to your problem. If it isn't the size of the files in the folder or the content, or the fact they are not on the computer that originated them, I would suggest you go back to the manufacturer and see if they have seen any problems with the device.

You may be able to copy a folder to another location, even though you do not have ownership or permissions. Someone set the files to read only..was it you?

Comparison.png

You can see the different users allowed for each folder. Whenever I try to delete one from the corrupted one, it says it did it, but the "root" just shows up again. I can nor add anyone either.

I dug up the computer that created the whole thing, and it can't copy or do anything else (the same as this computer). It says that I have permissions, but yet I actually, really do not. I'm leaning towards a virus here....

Back