Windows 7 'Folder View' settings keep resetting to default

Wranger

I installed a program the other day that messed with my Windows Explorer. Now no folder will remember it's View options (Large Icons, List, Details), they all reset to their default.

As you can see it's nothing to do with Libraries. Neither the 'Shell Fix' nor editing the registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

has fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also been having this problem as of a week ago. I am a Windows expert with a previous MCSE certification and 32 years experience. I have used Windows since version 1.0. I have been unable to solve this one. Tried resetting the Bags and BagMRU registry sections to no avail. none of my folders will maintain their view settings.

Having been a Windows user since version 1.0 I can attest to the fact that Windows has always sucked.

It must have been something truly obscure then.

A reformat fixed it, I was due for one anyway.

Thanks all the same!

It must have been something truly obscure then.

A reformat fixed it, I was due for one anyway.

Thanks all the same!

Yeah, I can't even begin to count all the times I have had to reformat and reinstall Windows to resolve the same problem over and over again. And that problem was simply the fact that Windows had been running for 6 months without a reformat and reinstall. After 6 months Windows always has funky unresolvable problems and runs sluggishly. Windows 7 has been a little better than previous incarnations, but is still a pig when compared to any Unix or Mac OS version. BTW, I am still having this problem and just living with it. It's really frustrating, I must be spending 10-15 minutes a day just compensating for this problem. I am just not in the mood to rebuild my system, this one is quite complex. My C drive is a disk striped RAID with my USERS directory hard linked to my B: drive, which is a mirrored 2 disk RAID. This makes for an unbelievably fast system, especially since the 3 disk striped RAID is made up of 10,000rpm drives, but is a pain in the *** to setup.
I'm glad you got yours fixed.

Back
Top Bottom