Windows 7 Formating Xp partition, using Windows 7

Hi lakenz,

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

It is very simple.

In Disk Management mark the 7 partition Active.

Run startup repair from 7 dvd 3 times.

Boot into 7 - delete XP partition.

Should take only a few minutes.

Rt click the partition and select Mark partition as active.

Startup repair can't fix everything at once. It needs to create bootmgr, the Boot folder, and the bcd store with correct entries. You might get away with fewer runs - 3 to be sure.

I would do it a quicker way - but this is easier for the OP.

Last edited:
Rt click the partition and select Mark partition as active.

Startup repair can't fix everything at once. It needs to create bootmgr, the Boot folder, and the bcd store with correct entries. You might get away with fewer runs - 3 to be sure.

I would do it a quicker way - but this is easier for the OP.

Finally I figured out that the "Mark partion as active" option was always greyed out because I was trying it on my cd rom drive. Duhhh.

Just for educational purposes, are these the only two commands you would run to do this manually:

bootsect /nt60 C:Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Still doesn't tell me WHERE the bcd store will be built.... how would I make it use c: ?

Thanks for that SIW2
but when I right click the Win7 partition it does not have the mark partition as active in the list but the windows Xp one does but it is greyed out. Thanks for the help anyway, but I am going to go with the clean install, and completely format the disk.

Thanks guys, for the help,
Lakenz

If there is no option to mark active - it either already is, or it is a logical drive.

I am interested to see - please post a screenshot of Disk amangement.

Thanks,

Xp partition is already Active - 7 is on a logical drive, which by definition, can't be marked active. Slightly unusual arrangement.

Here's what I would do:

1. Rt click 7 logical drive and shrink it - make it smaller than the XP partition.

2. Boot partition Wizard cd - delete XP partition to create Unallocated space. Copy 7 partition into the Unallocated space making it a Primary partition. Mark the newly copied partition Active.

3. Boot 7 dvd and run startup repair 3 times.

4. Boot into the new 7 partition - (make sure it the new one - look in Disk Management and see if it says Boot on it) Delete the old 7 partition.

5. Type msconfig in start search - under the Boot Tab - highlight and delete the old entry.

Free Download Partition Wizard

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I am going to Format the whole thing now instead, I think it will be easier and safer, I have backed up my files onto another computer and now I am just going to clean Install it, thank you for your time, although i am not using this method, someone else could If they have the same issue.

again thanks,
Lakenz

LOL .

It is perfectly safe. Just follow the instructions. PW will warn you not to delete the XP partition - just go ahead - that is why you will run startup repair.

If you do it wrong - just reinstall, which is what you were going to do anyway.

Where is your sense of adventure?

BTW I have done this kind of thing multiple times - always works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom