Windows 7 free AV/spyware software for windows 7?

When you guys say Avast works with windows 7 does that mean it will show up in the system properties as having a anti virus program installed?

A few of the anti virus programs I have tried even after installing windows 7 still thought I didn't have anti virus installed.

When you guys say Avast works with windows 7 does that mean it will show up in the system properties as having a anti virus program installed?

A few of the anti virus programs I have tried even after installing windows 7 still thought I didn't have anti virus installed.

Yes, it will. However, if it does that again, all you have to do is go to the window where it says that, and click on the "I have my own anti-virus software that I will monitor myself", and Windows will stop bugging you about it.

oh yea i forgot about spybot... i will give that a try. but i still gotta find some AV software... i always thought AVG was free but if i remember correctly - the page that windows pointed me to wanted like $5 for it.

Download the free edition of AVG (8.0.176) from www.filehippo.com.

Avira Personal Edition is great, just go to Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir . It's free and works perfectly on my 7 installation. Plus, it has one of the highest detection rates of all AV programs on the market. The only downside is that the free version bugs you with self-ads every time it updates... but you get used to it, despite the pop-up always showing up in the wrong moment.

I honestly can't recommend AVG, if anything, it's constantly producing false positive alerts, e.g. finding virures that don't exist. Avira does that somemtimes, too (as does practically any AV), but in the 4 years I've been using it now, it did only three times, which is okay I guess.

i use Avast for virus checking. For spyware, I use my eyes and don't go running stupid stuff that I don't know about.

Hi all,

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.... Its running sweet with no problems at all.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Shay

I'll let someone else do the beta testing with Anvi Smart Defender. However, I'm not knocking the software, it may be good. It would need to develop a good reputation for many to consider it.

Avast just upgraded their free AV to version 7, and you get a 20 day trial of Avast Internet Security with it, if you want. It even runs on Windows 8 CP, I'm using their IS now. Mainly for the SafeZone browser.

Avast & MSE are the 2 best choices for a free AV for Windows 7. One great feature of Avast Free, is their BootTime scanner, you schedule it, reboot, and after the Windows symbol appears, it begins to scan your entire system. Even your entire hard drive, unless the user excludes partitions. It's highly adjustable, but don't jack every setting to the max. In doing so, your computer will be slowed.

A great feature of MSE is that for the most part, it does the work for the user. There's no graphs showing what it's scanning (your file system), but it's actively scanning as long as the computer is on. There are a few adjustments, but the default works for most users. One adjustment that the user needs to make is the time which the daily short scan runs. And if your computer is a low spec one, you may wish to lower the CPU usage (default is 50%). MS Update also keeps MSE updated, but if you wish to do a scan, you can manually check for updates first.

With nothing to lose, try both & see which is best for you. Whichever you get, also have the free version of Malwarebytes installed, as it can find some nasty things that can bypass any AV/IS software, paid or free. A weekly full scan doesn't take long, and is worth doing.

AVG, no. Just NO. Don't do it with Windows 7. There are tens of thousands of forum posts in regard to Windows 7 having BSOD's with AVG installed. Don't be a statistic to add to the list. Plus, it's one of the hardest ones to remove from your computer, especially their IS suite.

Cat

You write long stuff, Cat.

Folks,

MSE, occasional Malwarebytes or if, @ all suspicious ever for some reason & maybe SpywareBlaster. And you should be fine.

Cheers,
Drew

You write long stuff, Cat.

Folks,

MSE, occasional Malwarebytes or if, @ all suspicious ever for some reason & maybe SpywareBlaster. And you should be fine.

Cheers,
Drew
Yeah, sometimes they're long posts. I'm just of the type who tries to explain things, as in this case, covering some of the basics of each AV. Many says a particular AV or IS suite w/o telling anything about it. When I make a decision about software, I want info.

But I know you meant it in a good way.
icon14.gif

Cat

Back
Top Bottom