Windows 10 Freeze regulary - HD access

darian

Hello,

For a few days I have freeze in a very regular way. I opened the task manager and found that every time the freeze takes place, the disk activity time changes to 100%.

The graph is exactly the same every time (cf screenshot), and this happens several times an hour. I tried to find out what program or process is causing this massive disk access. But I could not identify him.

What can I do to find out which program or process is causing this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

• win10-freeze.jpg
    win10-freeze.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 380
From the performance tab in task manager click on "Open Resource Monitor". Select the Disk tab and sort by total bytes. That should tell you which process is the issue.

Hi,
there are several things that can cause this problem, such as too many apps installed or certain Microsoft W10 settings not set correctly such as Windows Updates(WU) and WUDO. However, you should know that this is also a symptom of virus/malware infection.

I recommend you do this first: FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!
This is always a good idea before attempting to repair your computer with any kind of software tools.

Next, use the built-in AV program you already have installed to scan/remove all viruses found. Then go to malwarebytes.org and download the free MALWAREBYTES anti-spyware and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot your computer and look to see if your CPU usage is down from 100%. If it is you were infected by a simple virus, and you're good to go! :up:

If the problem persists, you might just have some settings in your W10 that need to be adjusted. If you have W10 Pro, you can disable all updates from Microsoft or reschedule them for installation at a later date. If you have W10 Home you cannot do this, so you'll have to google my article here on WF about how to slow down Windows Updates and disable WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimatization). Sorry I don't have that link handy. Reboot and test your computer. If it's fixed; you probably had 1 or more Microsoft W10 updates or security updates stuck in the queue, and your hard drive was thrashing.:up:

If the problem still persists, take a look at this video which gives you some simple tips on how to change W10 user settings to tweak services to reduce your Disk Usage. Here's that link: 100% Disk Usage Windows 10 Fix - Bing video
This might also take care of the problem for you. :up: [make sure and EXPORT your Registry file in Regedit to your Desktop before you make his suggested changes to you Registry just in case!].

If that doesn't work; you might try to CLEAN BOOT your W10 machine in order to see if any programs or processes are causing your problem--often due to installation of rogue or poorly-coded application programs you've installed into your computer. This link has a fairly thorough treatment of the process here: Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts
Bear in mind, this last suggestion is getting into Advanced Troubleshooting, so if you don't have experience using these kinds of Windows tools or simply can't wrap your head around it; you might consider taking your computer into your local licensed Computer Tech or Repair Shop and pay them to solve your problem for you. If you fix it before you get this far, great!:up:

Lastly, if you're not ready for the last resort of paying a Tech to fix the problem for you, there is one other thing you can try, and that's to test your own Hardware. I wrote a great little step-by-step TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE to help you find whether your DISK USAGE issues is due to a failing Hard Drive or glitchy RAM memory stick. Take a look here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Best of luck and if you have questions, post them back here to this thread; we are here 24x7x365.:encouragement:

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back
Top Bottom