Windows 7 Freezes on Start up/won't work with more than 3gb of ram

Zedero

Recently tried to upgrade the ram, to a total of 5gb while using Windows 7 and it freezes on start up when the windows logo appears. The ram is fine, all the tests show it is okay. It works with any combination of ram up to 3gb and it will also run in safe mode fine with 5gb and recognize it. However, it will not start up normally with the 5gb installed, it will freeze/lock up.

Windows 7 was a clean install, all the latest stuff from Windows Update, ran fine before the upgrade or when I keep it at 3gb or less, motherboard recognizes the memory and is compatible. Not sure what else to try or how to fix it;

Might be a dumb question, but this IS 64-Bit Windows 7, right?
Just wanna make sure you didn't try 32-Bit by accident!

Yeah, correct, 64 bit version, forgot to add that part in there. It does show the 5gb in safe mode, not sure if it would still do that in a safe mode on a 32 bit.

Not sure of your possible memory combinations for 5GB allowed in your mother board but generally you'll need to install in "compatable" amounts - you might find for your mother board you need to install 2 + 2 or 1 + 1 in the same "slots". It might not like a "2 + 1" combination. Try seeing if 4GB works. If that does then get another 1 GB and see if 6GB works.

The memory test will just show you whether the bios actually finds a hardware error in the memory -- The OS (Windows) might get screwed up with memory having different properties etc.

You can't normally do to much "Mixing and matching" with main memory --all pieces need to be compatable with each other. Your Motherboard documentation should have the allowable combinations in it.

Cheers
jimbo

I have tried it with 2x2gb for 4gb with the other 2x512mb sticks out, and all the combination. It refuses to get past the windows logo screen where it says Windows is loading, unless it is in safe mode. Any combination of the ram will work up to 3gb or less. I have found a similar problem, for Vista, but unable to apply the fix to Windows 7. And under the systems tab, it does report it as the 64 bit version.

Also, if I try to go back and do a clean install (which I don't want to really do yet) with either 4gb or 5gb installed, should I encounter a problem?

Hello
I was just wondering if you have figured out a solution to this issue yet?
I have been having the same problems.
I have a total of 6 gigs, 2 gigs x 3.
I can only use 1 Ram chip at a time, otherwise windows 7 freezes at the load screen.
Thanks again.
(ps I doubt another device, cus itll work fine without more than 1 Ram chip in)

32BIT windows 7 owes!

YEP CORRECT! YOU ARE MOST PROBABLY USING A 32BIT VERSION OF WIN7 even my system detects 3.5 gigs out of my 8gigs of ram. Don worry its not any malfunction!:razz:

Hello
I was just wondering if you have figured out a solution to this issue yet?
I have been having the same problems.
I have a total of 6 gigs, 2 gigs x 3.
I can only use 1 Ram chip at a time, otherwise windows 7 freezes at the load screen.
Thanks again.
(ps I doubt another device, cus itll work fine without more than 1 Ram chip in)

Oddly enough, I had to do a bios update for it to work. Once I updated the bios, it booted fine without needing to be in safe mode. But that was my problem. After that, the 64 bit has worked fine for me since.

I am currently using the 64 bit version of Windows 7.
I will run a memory test later today and then update my bios.
I will get back to you and let you know if it worked for me or not!
Thanks!

Back