Windows 7 Frequent BSOD, various errors

MSG45F

Hello,

I am experiencing frequent BSOD with varying error messages, though IRQ_no_less_or_equal has been a frequent sight.

The computer in question is a Lenovo W540 and has been giving me BSOD for a several months. Unfortunately, I've been travelling abroad and have had very limited opportunities to try to resolve the issue. I've spent some time researching possible causes and attempting to solve it myself - every seems to point to a driver issue, particularly video drivers, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers I could think of and have found no relief.

The crashes don't happen frequently for general computer use. I am a photographer and do a lot of photo editing (Lightroom, Photoshop mostly) and also run a local development webserver on my laptop, but have never experienced BSOD while working on these things. Very rarely, I experience them while browsing (Chrome) often while watching videos (often following some interaction - entering or exiting fullscreen), but sometimes they occur while just browsing. However, they much more frequently occur while playing games.

Attached are the files requested in the BSOD sticky. If any further information would prove helpful, please feel free to ask.

Thank you!

Attachments

• W7F_29-03-2015.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 872
Hi,
just going through the dump files now.. Will post back shortly.. :)

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {0, 7, 0, fffff88004c0196a}

Probably caused by : HDAudBus.sys ( HDAudBus!READ_REGISTER_ULONG+a )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
looking through the dump files we find a number of different bugchecks ranging from the above (usually caused by drivers), Bugcheck 1A (memory faults) and Bugcheck 50 (this can mean anything from driver, software and out of date bios).
Whilst it is possible that you may have a hardware error I'm more inclined to think that this is an update issue. Laptop drivers are almost always supplied by the manufacturer and after checking the support page for your machine I notice there are driver and bios updates available.
Please go through the list and apply the updates:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...books/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w540 (the gpu driver is also a 2015 version as appossed to the one installed which is dated Sept 2014)

Please post any new dump files.

We can test for hardware too but first I want to see how your system reacts to the new drivers and Bios.

Thank you for the information, I've updated the BIOS using the Lenovo update utility. I had tried using this in the past, and it didn't seem to work. That or updates had to be installed sequentially and I hadn't noticed the changing versions. Regardless, it seems to have worked this time.

I've also updated the Nvidia drivers. I had thought they were fully updated, however it seems they were not. I've changed versions of these several times trying to stabilize the system. Unfortunately, the graphics drivers have been quite confusing, as my system switches between the on board video card and the Nvidia depending on its needs.

I've also rolled back other drivers which I had installed in hopes of solving the problem, but seemed to increase the frequency (and types) of BSODs. I haven't had a chance to push the computer yet, but when I run into another BSOD I'll update you.

Thank you very much

Hello again,

I've experienced a couple of blue screens since updating the Nvidia drivers and BIOS. I've run the diagnostics tool again and am attaching the results to this page. The most recent error was a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, and the previous a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Attachments

• W7F_01-04-2015.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 427
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6fb80000000, ffffffffc000000e, 183f03880, fffff70000000040}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+36c1a )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
I basically went through the dump files from March as there are a huge amount and i should imagine I've already seen some of them. You have a few different dump files which mostly point to a possible hardware issue. (Bugcheck 1A, Memory management and Bugcheck 50, which can be a number of things ranging from hardware issues to Bios incompatibilities.
This driver could do with updating:
DzHDD64.sys Mon Oct 24 11:10:13 2011: You need to find 'Power management' in the drop down menus. I checked and there is a 2015 driver.:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...books/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w540

iaStorA.sys Fri Nov 15 19:59:34 2013: Intel Rapid storage driver please update:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...books/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w540

iwdbus.sys Sat Apr 14 22:16:13 2012: Intel WIDI Bus Enumerator driver Related to Intel Widi - Wireless Display please update (look under wireless)

Your gpu driver and related elements popped up a number of times. Please run this test for gpu's:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

The above Bugcheck and dump file are saying that there was an issue with the Hard disk:
Code:
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware
Please run a chkdsk to ascertain the state of your drive. Ensure that whichever method you use in the following guide that you search for and repair broken sectors:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

At some point if the bsod is still continuing you'll need to test your RAM:
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for at least 12hrs if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Back