Windows 7 Fresh install reboot

Hi everyone

Yesterday I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium and I have a really weird problem.
My current PC has been custom made and tested, so I decided yesterday to install my new windows. As I forgot to ad a DVD to my new pc ( and my old one has different cables so it won't fit) I decided to connect my new hard-drive to my old pc that has a DVD-Rom to install the windows from there.
Everything worked fine, but after I plugged my new hard drive back in my new PC and tried to start the computer, windows reboots at the start up window,saying the system cannot be started and that the automatic repairing failed.
Do you think it is because I plugged the hard drive to my old PC and installed from there? Right now I am trying to create a boot-able USB to re-install the windows, but I am really afraid not to get the same error. :(

Thank you!

Do you think it is because I plugged the hard drive to my old PC and installed from there?
Yes definitely. The OS is trying to look for the hardware you installed it with and can't recognize the system it was transferred to. If life is as simple as what you did, it would have been so sweet. Optical drives are cheap. You can get one for $15 or less. It's a cheap but good investment.

You have to uninstall first the OS from the PC you installed it with to release the license key before you can install it to another PC. The USB installer should work.

I decided to connect my new hard-drive to my old pc that has a DVD-Rom to install the windows from there.

Do you think it is because I plugged the hard drive to my old PC and installed from there?

Yep... that's your problem.
That technique seldom if ever works, excepting in instances where the PCs are identical in most if not every respect.
Continue with your USB installation, that should work fine.

So what I tried to do is a fresh install from the usb but it stopped halfway and rebooted my installation from the beginning, I shut down my pc and i checked everything inside and everything looks fine. Now I format the C partition and retried a fresh installation. At the moment it says "installing". I also changed the monitor and keyboard because i was afraid it might not fit..i don't know.. How do I release the license key?

LATER EDIT: Now it says " finishing the installation".. it seems like it worked but i still am confused about the license release

Last edited:
I will.... God I get so depressed when stuff like this happens, and everything from my own mistake not getting the DVD :)). It looks like it is okay until now, the USB installation worked. I typed in the activation key and now I am waiting. I think something between checking the hardware and replacing the monitor and keyboard helped, it's really weird.

I will.... God I get so depressed when stuff like this happens, and everything from my own mistake not getting the DVD :)). It looks like it is okay until now, the USB installation worked. I typed in the activation key and now I am waiting. I think something between checking the hardware and replacing the monitor and keyboard helped, it's really weird.
Just hang in there. A lot of people here can help you.

Okay now I have another problem. It says something about the network adapter not being recognized and that I have to re-install the application or something.. ( i am sorry if the message is not accurate but this windows is in German and I hardly understand what it is saying.
I have a p8z77-V brand new motherboard if that helps..

Okay now I have another problem. It says something about the network adapter not being recognized and that I have to re-install the application or something.. ( i am sorry if the message is not accurate but this windows is in German and I hardly understand what it is saying.
I have a p8z77-V brand new motherboard if that helps..
Download the network driver here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V/HelpDesk_Download/

Under Drivers & Tools, specify your OS and it will give you the available driver downloads including wireless driver. Bookmark the site for future use when you need more drivers.

So before I download the LAN driver from there,they say I should download an utility and install that first using cmd as administrator. I suppose i should do that if they say so but i am not sure how to do it. But that is only for the version 17.3.0.0.
Here is what they say:
3. Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges
2. Select the utility in the directory or folder based on the operating system installed
a. 32-bit Windows use the utility in the Win32 directory
b. 64-bit Windows use the utility in the Win64e directory
c. DOS use the utility in the DOS directory
4. Run the executable file from the common prompt
5. The NVM image will be updated. Reboot the computer for best results.

I don't know how to select the utility in the command prompt and run the exe. Is that the driver i need or can I download another version which wont require that? for example 17.2.0.0.

LATER EDIT: I started the download for the version that doesn't require the whole command prompt thing, hope it will work :)

Last edited:
Copying it on the USB right now, a lot of back and forth work from the laptop to the PC :D. Thank you so much for your help, hope I won't encounter other problems.

Is that your machine?? Looks amazing! :3

Yup. Dont be fooled. It's just an HP i5 system. Just did lots of hardware upgrades until I needed a bigger case.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Still awesome! :D
I wanted to get for my PC a bitfenix case ( I really like those small wings for some reason ) but they did not have any,so I settled for a basic corsair case an used the rest of the money for other components.

My case is a Thermaltake MS-II Commander Snow Edition.

Okay ...another problem...
It says now: no Intel(R) adapter found.
I don't get it.. I checked the site where I bought my pc to see if I had to buy an adapter separately but as far as I saw they only provide wireless adapters,which I am not interested in, so I thought the LAN should be already built in my motherboard. Is that correct?
I downloaded the version 17.2.0.0...I noticed it says Intel(R)Gigabit there .. I'll just try another version and see if it says the same.

LATER EDIT: I have a yellow exclamation mark in my device manager for my USB, PCI, SM-bus and Ethernet. Maybe I need to install all drivers for the motherboard before it works?

Last edited:
yup... you need all those drivers.
Your motherboard also supports wireless. Just try installing the driver for that too. If it works, then you can just download all the other drivers directly on that PC.

Success! I searched on Realtek's website and i found a matching driver. LAN works now :D
Thank you for your patience and kindness!
Have a nice evening :)

Last edited:
Great! I was just about to suggest to you to go to Realtek site to check for drivers there but good thing you know what to do. Enjoy!
It's just weird that the drivers posted on the support site for your motherboard didn't help you enough.

Last edited:
Back