Windows 7 From low performance to unplayable on every game.

diabloclock

Honorable Member
Right now I've been trying to play Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Call of Juarez and STALKER SoC. All these games I should be able to play at high if not highest settings yet all of them have extremely low fps. The stutter is horrible games freeze often and I can't do anything for most of the time. My specs:

Athlon 64 3.2ghz 32000+
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 256mb
1gb RAM

Latest drivers, directx, recent defrag. I could run these games at highest on windows XP and I'm considering downgrading even if it costs me a hdd format. Is there another possible solution.

I did try disabling aero interface too which didn't do much. Also ran them with and without compatibility modes.

I'm having a similar issue except mine should run decent on lowest settings for tf2 when it runs at like 30fps max on lowest :S

Lack of ram seems the most likely cause....1gig is bearly enough to load the OS, so you'll be digging a huge swap file that will cause the stutters.

1GB of RAM is simply not enough to run this OS. Even the 32-bit version of Win 7 should be run on a minimum of 2GB. Try adding another 1GB stick (though I recommend getting a 2X1GB pair).

Right now I've been trying to play Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Call of Juarez and STALKER SoC. All these games I should be able to play at high if not highest settings yet all of them have extremely low fps. The stutter is horrible games freeze often and I can't do anything for most of the time. My specs:

Athlon 64 3.2ghz 32000+
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 256mb
1gb RAM

Latest drivers, directx, recent defrag. I could run these games at highest on windows XP and I'm considering downgrading even if it costs me a hdd format. Is there another possible solution.

I did try disabling aero interface too which didn't do much. Also ran them with and without compatibility modes.

You'll definitely want to upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB. I was originally running 2GB DDR2 RAM on Windows 7, but my games were freezing up and crashing due to the lack of memory. I upgraded to 4GB and all my problems were solved.

1GB of RAM is simply not enough to run this OS. Even the 32-bit version of Win 7 should be run on a minimum of 2GB. Try adding another 1GB stick (though I recommend getting a 2X1GB pair).

I agree, 1gig isn't really enough.

Installing the CoD W@W patch tool 500megs of ram, so playing a game must be lot more.

Hello. im having the same problem. Every game i play Has Extremely low performance. but my ram shouldt be the problem. ive update the drivers of my chipset, video, sound card and everything i could update and still nothing. Im tire of going though the tech support of the video games giving me useless info and direction. its a brand new laptop and i have computer with 5 year old plarts in them that can play the games perfectly on XP. There seems to be no difference between low graphic settings and high. On top of that i made a mistake in buying an HP. Now it is impossible to put XP on it (ive tried embeded service pack 2 in with the setup). Support at HP doesnt help either. Here are my system specs. Please help and finding my problem. Oh ya.. i dont have background apps runing because i wiped my harddrive and put a fresh copy of 7-64 on so i know that there is no apps running in the back ground.

AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-64 2.10 GHz
Conexant High Definition SmartAugio 221
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G 1.5g
Ram= 3.00 GB
Model=HP G60 Notebook PC
Model#=NM345ua#aba

Hello. im having the same problem. Every game i play Has Extremely low performance. but my ram shouldt be the problem. ive update the drivers of my chipset, video, sound card and everything i could update and still nothing. Im tire of going though the tech support of the video games giving me useless info and direction. its a brand new laptop and i have computer with 5 year old plarts in them that can play the games perfectly on XP. There seems to be no difference between low graphic settings and high. On top of that i made a mistake in buying an HP. Now it is impossible to put XP on it (ive tried embeded service pack 2 in with the setup). Support at HP doesnt help either. Here are my system specs. Please help and finding my problem. Oh ya.. i dont have background apps runing because i wiped my harddrive and put a fresh copy of 7-64 on so i know that there is no apps running in the back ground.

Ram= 3.00 GB
Model=HP G60 Notebook PC
Model#=NM345ua#aba

Is the 1.5 gig of vram shared. If so you only have 1.5 gb of usable ram. That's kind of low for windows 7 64. 64 bit recommends 2 gb ram, but I found 4gb a real improvement.

Maybe try to turn off the aero. I read in a couple forums, people with the geforce 8200m had problems running games in vista with aero turned on.

Ram= 3.00 GB
Model=HP G60 Notebook PC
Model#=NM345ua#aba

Are you running with all the latest drivers, bios updates that your system requires as I'm pretty sure you'll find that this is a driver problem.. Sure you ain't going to be running Crysis on extreme settings but Half-life 2 should run easily..
Check the manufacturers website for updates on everything including bios..

I think these game developers should get their shit together.

How many questions have we had on games

Hundreds

Driver updates and a good amount of Ram (2GB+) will help, obviously.

Windows 7 is still relatively new, there will be problems lurking around every corner even when you generally have nothing wrong, the Operating System may still be learning to adapt to such powerful games that it hasn't yet experienced. For further ideas, check what applications and processes are running on your computer. There are threads on the internet that show you what should be run and what applications/processes don't need to.

Back