Windows 7 Frustrated by Shutdown & Restart Hangs

Hi,

I've looked on some other posts and websites, and it appears that the problem I am experiencing with shut down is caused by my ASUS P5B motherboard. Apparently it affects all variants. Anyone with one of these motherboards seems to have the same problem: the computer shuts down process goes on, the screen blanks, but the lights and fans stay on. Several people have confirmed that this happens on their motherboard.

If anyone has an ASUS P5B variant that does shut down correctly please post here and let me know - I'd love to have a look at your BIOS settings!

Dan

I have a similar situation, all was okay until I installed Win7. I have been through the BIOS several times; without any result.

I had the same issue, and I managed to solve it.

The Problem: At shutdown, Windows would simply hang up, displaying the "Shutting Down" screen indefinitely.

The Cause: I own a "ZBoard", a particular brand of gaming keyboard. I've owned the keyboard for several years, and in that time the company which originally made the keyboard was bought out by a different company. The new company put out some new drivers/applications which were updated by Windows, which did not jive with the older version of the drivers/application already on my computer. For some reason, this caused the shutdown hang up (don't ask me why, I'm not sure).

How I Found It: I noticed after my last update that the ZEngine was included. Furthermore I ran a System Health Report (found in the following directory: Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Performance Information and Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Generate a System Health Report) and saw that my ZEngine drivers were not working properly.

How I Fixed It: I then uninstalled the old ZBoard application and drivers, and installed the new ones from the site. Now it shuts down and restarts like a dream.

I hope this was helpful. Just so you know, I am NOT an expert, I'm just determined and had about three hours of extra time on my hands; so PLEASE do not ask for advice... I only posted it on the off-chance that it may help others in my situation, or be applicable to other reasons why this phenomenon may be occurring.

I have one of these motherboard in my p.c which is a sony vaio xl3..I can shut down with no problem...But my problem is when I try to re-start it hangs at the boot logos screen..then I have to manually hold the power button to shut down...when I do this step the computer re-starts with no problem straight to the os...I had win vista home prem..install..everything worked fine..My thing is it could be a hardware issue..

I hope I dont confuse things things but I think some of these posts are different problems than what was first described. I have a different m/b. Mine is MSI K9N2 Diamond. When I click on "shutdown" My screen goes black but my PC stays running...its more that just the fans. I think this problem is with an update or a particular driver installation with Win 7. I dont think its m/b specific. This is my opinion. If anyone get a fix...a REAL fix to this shutdown problem , please post it to as many of these threads as possible. Thanks...
jwill58

I had the same problem with Windows 7. After lots of research online, I found that the hanging shutdown was due to the Network adapter and the fact that the Windows 7 was not handling powering it down properly.

Try going to device manager and finding your network adapter. Right click and select properties of the adapter. Under the power mangement tab, de select the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"..

See if this solves the issue. It did for me and many others I know..

BTW, you have to check occasionally, as Windows 7 manages to reselect this on some updates somehow.

I had the same problem with Windows 7. After lots of research online, I found that the hanging shutdown was due to the Network adapter and the fact that the Windows 7 was not handling powering it down properly.

Try going to device manager and finding your network adapter. Right click and select properties of the adapter. Under the power mangement tab, de select the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"..

See if this solves the issue. It did for me and many others I know..

BTW, you have to check occasionally, as Windows 7 manages to reselect this on some updates somehow.

I check this ( Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power ) each and every time someone posts it as a solution . About a week ago I had an update for my MSI/Audigy Xtreme sound card and later that night , without even thinking about it , I shutdown my PC as I normally would have. And it worked...the whole PC went black ! However , that very next night , I shutdown just as I had the night before....and I got another hang-fire. Im sure that in the future we will have this problem figured out. I think the answer lies in newer 64 bit drivers for our 64 bit PC's. I've seen my PC respond to new driver updates....something happens after the install....I just havent figured it out yet. Thanks for all the replies...I appreciate them one and all !
jwill58

Hello there,

I have an Asus P5B-E, faced the same problem (windows shutting down but not powering off)
after a long quest I could fix the problem with the following steps:

Click “Start”, on “Computer” click right mouse button and select “Properties”, click “Device Manager”, select “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers” group, only contains one device called “VIA 1394 OHCI Compilant Host COntroller” on that click right mouse button and select “Properties”, select “Power Management” tab, and finally check the “Allow the computer to tur off this device to save power” box!
That’s all folks. After that the computer power down normally every time.

found on:

hardware - Asus P5B-E not shutting down with Windows 7 (RTM) - Super User

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom