Windows 11 Full Context Menu tweak not working for All Users (HKU/Default), works fine for HKCU

DHC2Pilot

Recently I used the known tweak to enable the full context menu in Windows 11 on my work laptop, and it worked as advertised, no problems at all. I understand that this tweak will only change the context menu for the currently logged in user (ME), hence modifying HKCU....

Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
(Restart explorer.exe or reboot laptop)

What I want to do is modify the default profile so that all new users logging in will also have the full context menu. In theory I should be able to load the default user hive, modify/add the same key, then unload the default user hive.

reg load HKU\temphive c:\Users\default\ntuser.dat
reg add "HKU\temphive\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKU\temphive\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg unload HKU\temphive

I also tried HKLM\Default.... as I've seen that being used to modify the default profile hive as well.....same results.

This process worked fine for the Left Start Menu tweak (all users have the Start menu on the left side of the taskbar). It does NOT work for the Full Context Menu. The registry key is changed in HKU\Default but when I log in as a different user (new user) the context menu is the standard Windows 11 mess. Looking in the new user's registry hive the setting is NOT being propagated from HKU\DEFAULT as it should be.

Has anyone out there been able to defeat this issue? Strange how modifying the Default Hive works for some keys and not for others.
Thanks in advance!!!

\Classes\.. is actually a second hive file called Userclass.dat you'll likely need to edit that file in the default profile

Back
Top Bottom