drmsucks

Did an upgrade install of Win 7 over my Vista SP2. All seems well except that my Gadgets: a) disappear after a reboot and b) "ghost" if I drag one onto the desktop (one gadget will work the other does nothing) and c) the Gadgets will not "configure" - can't change opacity, etc. Have tried the UAC slider in various positions - no difference (my preference is "off")

I know that I'm not alone with this - any fixes? Thanks.

Athlon 64 4800+ CPU, 4 GB RAM, ASUS A8N-E motherboard, Avast! AV, Windows Defender, NVIDIA video

Solution
It seems like you're encountering issues with Gadgets after performing an upgrade from Windows Vista SP2 to Windows 7. This problem might be due to compatibility issues between Windows 7 and the existing Gadgets from Vista. Here are some recommendations to address the problems you're experiencing:

Fixing Gadgets Issues After Upgrading to Windows 7:​

1. Reinstall or Update Gadgets:
    • Uninstall the existing Gadgets and reinstall them to ensure that they are compatible with Windows 7. Some Gadgets may not work correctly after an upgrade, requiring a fresh installation.
    []Check for Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your Windows 7 system is fully updated. Sometimes, system updates can resolve compatibility...
It seems like you're encountering issues with Gadgets after performing an upgrade from Windows Vista SP2 to Windows 7. This problem might be due to compatibility issues between Windows 7 and the existing Gadgets from Vista. Here are some recommendations to address the problems you're experiencing:

Fixing Gadgets Issues After Upgrading to Windows 7:​

1. Reinstall or Update Gadgets:
    • Uninstall the existing Gadgets and reinstall them to ensure that they are compatible with Windows 7. Some Gadgets may not work correctly after an upgrade, requiring a fresh installation.
    []Check for Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your Windows 7 system is fully updated. Sometimes, system updates can resolve compatibility issues with software like Gadgets.
    [
    ]Run Gadgets as Administrator:
    • Try running Gadgets with administrative privileges. Right-click on the Gadget and select "Run as administrator" to see if this resolves any permission-related issues.
    []Check for Graphics Driver Updates:
    • Update your NVIDIA graphics drivers to the latest version compatible with Windows 7. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause issues with visual elements like Gadgets.
    [
    ]Disable UAC Temporarily:
    • While you mentioned trying different UAC settings, temporarily disabling User Account Control (UAC) completely might help in determining if it's causing the problem.
    []Compatibility Mode:
    • Try running Gadgets in compatibility mode for Windows Vista. Right-click on the Gadget, go to Properties, and then the Compatibility tab to select the compatibility mode.
    [
    ]Check for Alternative Gadgets:
    • If the above steps do not work, consider using alternatives to Windows Gadgets, such as Rainmeter or other desktop customization tools that are compatible with Windows 7.
  2. Reset Gadget Settings:
    • Reset the Gadget settings to default. This can sometimes resolve configuration issues with Gadgets not saving changes like opacity settings. Give these steps a try to troubleshoot the Gadgets issues you're facing after upgrading to Windows 7. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back