Windows 7 Gapless music CD burning

DSLJay

It looks like Microsoft has added Gapless CD burning to Windows Media Player. Granted my DVD burner does not support the function.

hmmm....what is gapless burning?
(if you don't mind me asking on your thread)

To be honest, not sure. I just noticed this and wanted to post it. I have been told that when burning a music CD in past versions of Media Player, it puts a gap between songs. This is suppost to eliminate that. Of course, I could have been misinformed.

@DSLJay

When you say gaps between songs do you mean like a 2 second gap between each track? If so, I know Nero does that too by default but you can change it manually so there's no gaps between tracks at all... I know Nero has done that at least since version 5.. probably before that too though.. I only started using Nero as of version 5 though so I'm not sure if they did it before that or not.... If that's what your talking about.. ;) I've actually never used Windows Media Player to burn cd's or dvd's come to think of it....

Also, Nero allows you to setup crossfading between tracks too.. which is a great feature in my opinion :)

@DSLJay

When you say gaps between songs do you mean like a 2 second gap between each track? If so, I know Nero does that too by default but you can change it manually so there's no gaps between tracks at all... I know Nero has done that at least since version 5.. probably before that too though.. I only started using Nero as of version 5 though so I'm not sure if they did it before that or not.... If that's what your talking about.. ;) I've actually never used Windows Media Player to burn cd's or dvd's come to think of it....

Also, Nero allows you to setup crossfading between tracks too.. which is a great feature in my opinion :)

It looks like Microsoft is putting that same feature in Media Player. Granted, a lot of people may use 3rd party programs, but I have used media center to make back ups of my cd's. It isn't that bad and that way I also have the CD on my computer to play when I am using my media center extender.

Gapless music

An example might be Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. If you know the album, the songs run into each other seamlessly. Mp3's can't do that unless they are enabled to. If a player does not read "gapless information" correctly, you can experience everything from a dropout at the beginning of the song to a loud noise in between. I never burn CD's with Media Player, but iTunes has had this capability for a while.

Gord

Gapless Audio CD

I tried burning a gapless audio cd in media player but it says my burner doesn't support it. But the gapless feature works with my Roxio software as well as my Creative player software. I'm not sure why media player will not do it. I tried to see if there is a driver update for my burner (Sony DRU-V200S DVD-RW) but no luck. Its not even listed in the Windows 7 compatability site.

Back