Windows 7 Get a blank Tab when opening a link in IE-11

n2b

I am running Win-7 SP1 (pro) with IE-11. When I try to open a link by double clicking it, and holding the ctrl key to get the web to open in a new page. All I get is a blank tab. It opens in place of the old tab if i don't hold down the ctrl key. I have the same problem after I changed to a IE-10. All my windows updates are current. I don't have any such problem with Chrome.
Thanks for any help

Try re-registering IE components using the following commands in an Administrator Command Prompt. Also try resetting IE to default settings.

Code:
regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s corpol.dll
regsvr32 /s dxtmsft.dll
regsvr32 /s dxtrans.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\internet explorer\hmmapi.dll"
regsvr32 /s ieaksie.dll
regsvr32 /s ieapfltr.dll
regsvr32 /s iedkcs32.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\internet explorer\iedvtool.dll"
regsvr32 /s iepeers.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\internet explorer\ieproxy.dll"
regsvr32 /s /i /n inetcpl.cpl
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s licmgr10.dll
regsvr32 /s msdbg2.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtmled.dll
regsvr32 /s msident.dll
regsvr32 /s mstime.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\internet explorer\pdm.dll"
regsvr32 /s tdc.ocx
regsvr32 /s /i urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s "%CommonProgramFiles%\microsoft shared\vgx\vgx.dll"
regsvr32 /s /i /n wininet.dll
regsvr32 /s extmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s mscoree.dll
regsvr32 /s oleacc.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s asctrls.ocx
regsvr32 /s cdfview.dll
regsvr32 /s comcat.dll
regsvr32 /s /i /n comctl32.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s /i /n digest.dll
regsvr32 /s dispex.dll
regsvr32 /s hlink.dll
regsvr32 /s mlang.dll
regsvr32 /s mobsync.dll
regsvr32 /s /i msieftp.dll
regsvr32 /s msr2c.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s proctexe.ocx
regsvr32 /s /i scrobj.dll
regsvr32 /s /i shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s sendmail.dll
regsvr32 /s /i ieframe.dll
reg add "HKCR\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d %systemroot%\system32\ieframe.dll /f

I tried to reset the IE-10 from Tools> Internet Options> Advanced > Restore Advanced Settings. It made no difference. Still got a blank tab as before.
Was what I did the correct way to reset the default settings?
I am not that knowledgeable working with the command prompt. Can you please give me more detail steps for re-registering the IE components
Thanks

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
Now copy the ENTIRE list of commands above that I listed, then go to your Command Prompt window and right click in the black area, and it should paste them in. Note that sometimes you'll still need to hit the Enter key for the last command to complete.

After that reboot then try your IE tabs again.

Followed your steps as listed above. Used my Admin user account to open the command prompt window - ran as an Administrator. Copied the entire list and pasted it. At the end of the last line I got an error immediately saying "Access denied"

You need to right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator"

Here is what I do
In my User account with Admin privileges, I do the following. Start > All Programs > Accessories > Rt click Command Prompt > Select Run as Administrator > Click Yes in User Account Control.
In the Administrator Command Prompt Black Screen - C:\Windows\System32> { Paste Josephur's List}
AT the end of this list I immediately get an error message " Access Denied"
Attaching the screen print
Untitled.jpg

Not even administrators have access to write to that reg key so that's to be expected, but all the other commands ran fine.

As long as that key is present you should be ok, you can manually browse to the location in regedit to verify it is there. But none of that helped your new tab issue at all eh?

I would also try simply pressing F5 on the blank page. I've seen issues identical to this were clearing the cache would not resolve, yet F5 seemed to force a re-download of the site.

Also if you are only have the issue with one particular site/link, right click the blank page and select view source. There could be an issue with the page and if you get some empty html code <html>.....<head>....</head><body></body></html> then maybe there isn't any actual content on that page.

Problem Solved !!! I am now able to go to a new link in IE and have it open in a new tab. Upgraded it to IE-11 and that also works
Thank You Joesephur. Your list for re-registering the IE components obviously worked in spite of the error message. I presume from the discussion between you and Neemobeer that I was denied access only to the last line of the list and not the whole list as I had assumed earlier.

Am I correct on that assumption. I would be very interested to know what was causing the blank tabs in the first place and what actually fixed it
Thanks for your help

Back