Windows 7 Getting Programs from Partition

vintagesierra

Just a quick question here, but do I have to install the programs I want to use off my Windows XP partition to Windows 7 or can I drag them to the start menu somehow so I can use them? I'm mainly wanting to know for my NOD32 antivirus program how do I use that on Windows 7? The little red x saying my computer is unprotected is bugging me. :cool:

Yes.

You will need to install each program you want to run with 7. Trying to do it the other way is problematic at best.

All NT versions of Windows need info entered into the registry for each program that you want to use, Extremely few excepts and even then its a crap shoot.

Please advise of your progress, and if this helps you please hit my rep. If you have further questions, bring'em on!

Yes, gcwhite1 is correct, you will have to re-install all those applications.

However, if you have small standalone programs that didn't require an installation program, you can safely use these programs from whatever partition you prefer.

I've tested this will the entire Sysinternals Suite (by Microsoft), and it worked fine. The proper registry entries will be entered when you first run the program.

If you have XP Home there's a sort of "Elephantine / long winded " way to do this -- but it will only work for 32 bit systems. (You can't do this with XP PRO unfortunately unless you go via VISTA ULTIMATE)

BORROW a copy of Vista 32 bit (any edition) . This is LEGAL to install as you don't have to activate for 30 days -- I'm not preaching use of illegal / pirated software. The EULA allows install for 30 days before activation. Even an OEM copy is fine provided it's a Bootable DVD and not one of those "horrible images on hidden partition" versions.

Now UPDATE -- this should transfer all the compatable programs etc to VISTA. After you've installed VISTA run the complete Windows Update for Vista -- you don't need to eneter any key / product code. This will enable the Windows 7 install to go better.

We don't want to keep VISTA of course (we are on a Windows 7 forum aren't we).

So now do the Windows 7 upgrade -- then activate with the proper key. Problem solved.

(Note before getting rid of XP DO BACK IT UP as Windows 7 BETA will only last till AUG 01. Download and GET A KEY BY 24 JAN when the download will be pulled.

cheers
jimbo

If you have XP Home there's a sort of "Elephantine / long winded " way to do this -- but it will only work for 32 bit systems. (You can't do this with XP PRO unfortunately unless you go via VISTA ULTIMATE)

BORROW a copy of Vista 32 bit (any edition) . This is LEGAL to install as you don't have to activate for 30 days -- I'm not preaching use of illegal / pirated software. The EULA allows install for 30 days before activation. Even an OEM copy is fine provided it's a Bootable DVD and not one of those "horrible images on hidden partition" versions.

Now UPDATE -- this should transfer all the compatable programs etc to VISTA. After you've installed VISTA run the complete Windows Update for Vista -- you don't need to eneter any key / product code. This will enable the Windows 7 install to go better.

We don't want to keep VISTA of course (we are on a Windows 7 forum aren't we).

So now do the Windows 7 upgrade -- then activate with the proper key. Problem solved.

(Note before getting rid of XP DO BACK IT UP as Windows 7 BETA will only last till AUG 01. Download and GET A KEY BY 24 JAN when the download will be pulled.

cheers
jimbo
This seems like this is only possible if you are going to upgrade the original OS. And yes it would be a bit cumbersome. Not sure if the user want to go thru all that.

Please correct me if I am missing something.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom