Windows 10 Gmail Storage ?

sportman13

I want to free up storage space if I delete Updates, where LinkedIn emails come, and Promotions where you get emails from your banks. Most of the time these are useless emails. where you store your in All Mail [archived mail] will it be deleted ?

Read this: How to get more space in your Google storage
Deleting Updates and/or Promotions won't free up space on Gmail. They are only labels, the emails will still be stored on your account. You have to delete all emails in Updates and Promotions first and after that, if you want, you can delete the labels also, but this won't release you any more space. All incoming emails will still be in the Inbox.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

GDany if I delete all emails in Updates and Promotions first and after that, if I want, you can delete the labels also, the difference is ?​

Labels do not take any space on Gmail, they are only used to categorize the emails. If you want, look at the labels as if they are folders on your computer. Folders do not use space on your harddrive, but files do. Your emails are like the files on your computer.
So, click on the Updates label, select all emails under this label and delete them. After that, if you are sure you don't need any of the deleted emails, click on the Trash label and then press Empty folder.
All deleted emails are kept under your Trash label up to 30 days and that's why they still use space. It would be a good idea to first empty the trash folder, before deleting anything else, and see if you still need to free more space.

GDany I read this​

Empty Updates and Promotions

Google Gmail has tabs for quite some time now. Of these tabs, Inbox is the primary area where all of your important emails come. But then there are also Updates, where LinkedIn emails come, and Promotions where you get emails from your banks. Most of the time these are useless emails. When you are running low on space, you can safely delete them.

It dose not free up space ? If not how can I free up space with out paying ?

You didn't read what I previously wrote.
Gmail works very similar to windows file manager.
Think about your emails like they are files in windows. The Trash folder/label in Gmail is like the Recycle Bin in windows. When you delete an email message, the message is not in fact deleted, but moved to a special folder/label called Trash and kept there for 30 days, for safety, in case you accidentally delete something important that you do not want to delete. As long as you do not Empty your Trash folder, you will always have stored in it all the email messages deleted during the last 30 days. So, these deleted files still use your storage space until you Empty the Trash folder.
The tabs the article is talking about do not use storage space. They are just a mean to ease your work, that is, to have faster access to different special folders/labels.
When an email message comes in to your inbox, it is checked and filtered by the program (in this case, Gmail). Depending on its content, Gmail assigns it a label, like Updates, Promotions, Spam etc. For example, if you click on the Promotions label, you will see only messages that Gmail "thinks" are promotions. The storage space used is the same, no matter under what label the message is. In order to really delete a message and free up the space it uses you have to delete the message first, then go to the Trash folder and delete it again from there or just Empty the entire Trash files.

Back
Top Bottom