Windows 10 GoG and Steam pros and cons.

Axel PC

Honorable Member
I used to be a big PC gamer back in the Windows XP days. But with the GoG and Steam sales right now I'm really tempted to buy some PC games.

Back in the Windows XP days DRM was such a big deal. Sometimes it caused problems on your computer. Or you couldn't play it on a new computer that you purchased etc. But now I don't know if being so stand off-ish towards DRM is such a big deal. All of our devices sync and we can access our accounts on multiple devices.

What are your reasons for buying or not buying games on Steam or GoG? Or do you buy off both depending on the prices? One of my friends told me he buys single players games off GoG and multiplayer off Steam because of their community. I thought that was an interesting reason.

So yeah just some nerd lip on this last day of Thanksgiving break before going back to the rat race. What are your pros and cons on GoG and Steam? Thanks.

I love steam, all your games are available for download and there isn't DRM in steam. The games themselves might but it's not maintained by steam. You can even add your old licenses into steam and download those games.

So the DRM issues of the past aren't a concerned of today then? I'm not pirating them or sharing them. I'd purchase them for me to use on my computer. What if I purchased a new computer in a couple years? Am I able to play the Steam games that I purchased on my laptop a couple years back?

I personally have had no issues with GOG, Steam, Origin or GameSessions.
GOG games don't have DRM, in case you didn't know that, they remove it.
Another thing about GOG you may not know, Crysis works if you get it from them and you get Crysis x86 and x64 and both work fine.
The only personal issue I've experienced has to do with games themselves on whether they have config files you can alter to change resolution settings to newer monitor resolutions. A lot of games don't have config files in them. MLB 2015 is a example of one that doesn't.
I don't bother installing it, because it doesn't support 2560x1080 and changes how my desktop icons look. It only supports up to 1920x1080, nothing higher than that and has no files you can alter, like other games do.

gog games have no drm and they have all patches... in some cases (like Beamdog games) the gog version of the game does [not] work as well because extra patches came out after the release date but they are special issues.

Origin = my big issue with them is the hidden need to go online while playing... yes you can play offline (after install) but after a time limit your game will start to lose textures until you log in again so if you want to see your characters in Mass Effect instead of a black block then you must sign back in to your orgin.

Steam = I have some games from them because the guys I play against like them... in many cases you can use steam games on your gog accout

P.s, I play gog online just fine

Last edited:
GOG, Origin, Steam & GameSessions games are all available on any pc/laptop/tablet you own. It's just a matter of wheter each one has good enough spec's. to play them
Example of what I mean:
On this pc, my video card can handle ultra settings on all games I own.
On my old pc with my 2 GTX 760's video card's, I have to town the graphics down in all the games.

I personally have had no issues with GOG, Steam, Origin or GameSessions.
GOG games don't have DRM, in case you didn't know that, they remove it.
Another thing about GOG you may not know, Crysis works if you get it from them and you get Crysis x86 and x64 and both work fine.
The only personal issue I've experienced has to do with games themselves on whether they have config files you can alter to change resolution settings to newer monitor resolutions. A lot of games don't have config files in them. MLB 2015 is a example of one that doesn't.
I don't bother installing it, because it doesn't support 2560x1080 and changes how my desktop icons look. It only supports up to 1920x1080, nothing higher than that and has no files you can alter, like other games do.

Crysis on Origin and Steam work fine too. Tested here.

Thanks for all the replys. Like I said it's been a while since I've been in the PC gaming area. So anything that you can say about Steam and GoG is helpful.

I never used GOG but Steam is great for a few reasons.

1. You can buy games with your account and buy them with Paypal or a Steam Card

2. The Steam platform is like Xbox Live/PlayStation network for PC which gives you a community of gamers and a platform to connect and play with others.

3. Your Steam account allows 2FA so you can keep your account secure

4. Many great games on Steam

5. A con with steam is downloading the games especially big games that are 50GB in size. But a way around it is to backup the game itself on a hard drive once there are no more updates for the game. This way when you get a new PC just just need to copy and paste the game and them when you click install in Steam it will be way quicker since all it will do is verify your files to ensure you have the game installed. But this won't work on games that have update consistently like MMOs and CSGO.

Hm I like that it supports 2FA. That should be a minimum for any account now a days.

Back
Top Bottom