Windows 10 Google Chrome bookmarks experiences

Berrander

Does anyone use Google Chrome bookmarks as their bookmarking tool? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?
Is it reliable? Does it do sync well?

I'm thinking about using it instead of Linkman Pro which is a special bookmarking software for Windows but although it has a ton of bookmark features I find it pretty difficult to use and I have some pop-ups appearing frequently with error messages. And I contacted their support about these 2 issues but I haven't got any reply.
In the past I used Xmarks extention in both Chrome and Firefox and I was quity happy with that but then Xmarks announced they will stop. So then I kind of switched to Linkman but while it's OK I have some troubles with it so I'm looking for an alternative.

I do mainly because Chrome is my default browser of choice. Usage is fairly straight forward and it syncs to all of my devices (multiple computers, phone and tablet).

Does anyone know the folder location on Windows 10 where Google Chrome stores its bookmarks file? I researched this online and Google says it's on this next location but I can't find such location on my PC.
are located in ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
(full extensions might look like C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
OR
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

Why do they use different folder names than on Windows 10?
I can only see a Documents folder on my C drive but it's empty.

And what is the difference between the 'Bookmarks menu' folder and the 'Bookmarks toolbar' folder in Google Chrome bookmarks? Are they both not just different folders in your Google Chrome's bookmarks' file? Why would they have 2 of these folders?

In the past I found that I had a lot of double folders and bookmarks in Chrome's bookmarks. Perhaps a syncing bug in Chrome. But I don't know if that's still the case or if they've fixed it already.

I believe it used to be sqlite, but it appears to be stored as JSON now.

Path: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

File: Bookmarks

I'd have to look but I believe its a sqlite database
And I had read this: "Select Export bookmarks. Chrome will export the bookmarks as an HTML file."
So does this mean it stores them as a sqlite database file but exports them as an HTML file? Why would they do that?
Why wouldn't they use the same file format for both?

And why do the different browsers like Chrome and FF use different file formats for their exported bookmarks?

I believe it used to be sqlite, but it appears to be stored as JSON now.

Path: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

File: Bookmarks
I went to this folder:
Path: C:\Users\%username%
but there I can't see any folder called 'AppData' or something like it. I checked all folders in that location but none are the one.

When Chrome exports your bookmarks as an HTML file, does it take that JSON db file and transforms it to an HTML file? And when it imports it, does it transform it to a JSON db file? And what will happen if you import more than 1 exported bookmarks files into Chrome?

Appdata is a hidden directory. You can simply add it in the address bar at the top or you'd need to change your explorer view settings to see it

Thanks, I did what you recommend and checked "show hidden files, folders and drives". I can see those folders now but I can't see a Bookmarks file anywhere. I checked the contents of all those folders I found there but no Bookmarks file to see. Why is that?

I just want to know what happens when Chrome imports and exports bookmarks files. Will it store all imported bookmarks in the same database file and so you might end up with having some/several bookmarks double? How does this work?
Can you create a new bookmarks/database file and select it somewhere so it will be used by Chrome?
And can you select which bookmarks/database file Chrome should use to avoid double/duplicate bookmarks or can you only use the only one that it has?

Back