Windows 7 Google Chrome Question

Joe S

Excellent Member
Is there a way in Google Chrome to clear the internet cache but stay logged in to sites like this? Yahoo is my home page and it's not uncommon to have the home page appearance messed up after clicking on a news story. If I clear the internet cache with Chrome or Ccleaner it fixes the Yahoo Home page problem but then I have to log back into the sites again.
Joe

I'm not a Chrome user, but I'll toss out a few thoughts.
  • When you log into Yahoo and other sites where you want to preserve the login, select the option to keep you logged in. With that option, you typically don't need to login again for a designated time period even if you close the web page or your browser.
  • When you return to a web page that appears messed up, try reloading the page rather than clearing the cache.
  • From your description, it sounds like the problem news stories are things you click on in the Yahoo home page. Instead of clicking on the link, right-click and open it in a new tab. When you're done. close that tab and the original tab should not be affected.
  • If you're going to clear the cache, first make sure everything you want to preserve is open and displayed in a tab. I don't think clearing the cache affects stuff that is actively displayed. Of course if you are clearing the cache to clean up a messed up web page, this would kind of defeat the purpose. The 2nd & 3rd bullet might eliminate the need to clear the cache.
edit: just reread your post and realized you were talking about relogging into sites other than the one you were trying to clean up, like this forum. The above bullets still apply but I'll add another thought. When I load this forum, I'm already logged on. I don't know if it's because I don't log off when I leave or because I have the browser remember the password. Some people don't like to have the browser remember passwords, particularly if they use the same password everywhere. That might be prudent for sites where security is important, but I see it as less important with sites where the password is just to verify your identity but nothing is really at risk. Just use a different or modified password at every site.

Last edited:
Is there a way in Google Chrome to clear the internet cache but stay logged in to sites like this? Yahoo is my home page and it's not uncommon to have the home page appearance messed up after clicking on a news story. If I clear the internet cache with Chrome or Ccleaner it fixes the Yahoo Home page problem but then I have to log back into the sites again.
Joe

If you open Ccleaner, click options, then Cookies you'll see where you can add sites where the cookies won't be removed under cleaning. Just saves on having to log in each time as you say..

Thanks I'll try that. I think Yahoo finally straightened the mess out. They've been constantly changing things on home page and all their other pages. People have been quite upset.
Joe

It's a problem to have ones convenience preserved at the same time with ones security. I haven't had problems with Chrome, it's always saved my settings, even if I have used CCleaner or other similar.

All I can say is, have the control for Chrome with Chrome. Makes any sense? o_O

Here is how you do this (no ccleaner needed)

Go to google chromes menu (the three lines at the right end of the screen normally under the close button if you dont know) it looks like this:
chrome1.png

go to "settings"

and then scroll down in the settings to "show advanced settings"
then click that
then under "privacy" go to "clear browser data"
This will not automatically clear your browser data, instead it gives you little tick boxes you can uncheck/check by clicking them.
uncheck all the boxes except for "Cached images and files"
this will single out your cache to be cleared and not anything else.
After doing that just hit "clear browsing data" and boom your cache is clean :D

Back