Windows 7 Got X-Fi XtremeMusic working... Try it...

Bushmaster78FS

OK folks, I installed the new beta OS and so far I am liking it despite a few issues with the dropping internet connection, etc, I like the speed of the new OS.

Anyhoo, I tried the new beta drivers for my X-Fi XtremeMusic. It installed fine but it lacked all the features of the original vista package, like THX console, MIDI, DVD Audio player, etc. This is what I did. I installed everything that is on the Vista Installation CD I got from Creative. Interestingly, the installation was smooth and there was no problems or interruptions. After I was done installing the CD, I installed the beta driver on top and everything worked. Right now, I can utilize bass re-direction, THX and all the other applications. After installing the beta driver for Win7, I went ahead and ran the Creative Software Update and updated the remaining applications. Everything still works. One little problem is that I get crackling when there is considerable CPU activity. Like even scrolling pages up and down on your web browser causes crackling. Haven't tested in any games, but I doubt I will get any good results. Given everything is at beta stage this is not that bad. What do you all think? Give this a try if you haven't yet...

OK folks, I installed the new beta OS and so far I am liking it despite a few issues with the dropping internet connection, etc, I like the speed of the new OS.

Anyhoo, I tried the new beta drivers for my X-Fi XtremeMusic. It installed fine but it lacked all the features of the original vista package, like THX console, MIDI, DVD Audio player, etc. This is what I did. I installed everything that is on the Vista Installation CD I got from Creative. Interestingly, the installation was smooth and there was no problems or interruptions. After I was done installing the CD, I installed the beta driver on top and everything worked. Right now, I can utilize bass re-direction, THX and all the other applications. After installing the beta driver for Win7, I went ahead and ran the Creative Software Update and updated the remaining applications. Everything still works. One little problem is that I get crackling when there is considerable CPU activity. Like even scrolling pages up and down on your web browser causes crackling. Haven't tested in any games, but I doubt I will get any good results. Given everything is at beta stage this is not that bad. What do you all think? Give this a try if you haven't yet...

there is indeed no THX console with the win7 beta driver but bass redirection wich is important for me as well is still there ,actually just about everything that used to be in the THX console is there :)

No crackling here during scrolling.

When I installed the beta driver by itself, all I got was the Audio panel, by simply using that how did you get the bass re-direction working? How about speaker distance, levels? I think you can do that in Windows Sound panel but then every speaker level moves along with the main sound slider. Well, I think crackling is due to the experiment itself, mixing components.

Last edited:
I get crackling during scrolling as well. I use the X-Fi Xtreme Gaming soundcard. If I scroll any more than 3 clicks, sound stops altogether. Multitasking is not currently a viable option if you want sound from your computer. I've tried several dozen ideas, and nothing's working. So you're not alone, BushMaster... I hope some more people may come forward with this problem so we can find where the main problem lies...

I realise this is a old post but... I just nabbed one of these cards to replace my older Audigy2ZS just today and had a nightmare getting Win 7 x64 ultimate to accept the drivers, BUT here's how I managed to get it working...using official drivers. :cool:

• Firstly did the usual slap in card and boot up to install...got some crap about audio driver already installed and then the XFI drivers basically closed - :(
  • Checked creative site and noticed the "PID updater" fix so figured that would fix it, ran installed rebooted and guess what SAME ISSUE. :(
anyhoo after messing about for a few hours got it all working ten minutes ago with following method....and god only knows how the hell creative expects average noobs to do that....!!!

1. unstall and clean (use driversweeper off guru3d) all creative drivers out, reboot.

2. boot to safe mode (F8 split seconds after post screen)

3. goto hardware devices and right click the "Media device" (where the creative card should be had the software been written properly to detect it) and use the right click and UNINSTALL it, but dont refresh page or windows will reinstall a crappo driver and block install of XFI drivers.

4. ok now immediately run the XFI installer software and as expected it says no device found etc... rather than the "Newer audio driver already installed" bollocks that blocks the drivers installing.

5. quickly jump back to the device manager and scan/refesh to redetect hardware.... quickly jump back and as windows bubble about device pops up run the XFI installer and JACKPOT!!! it picksup sweet as a nut and installs, job done just reboot and finnish up installing the updated apps off the auto updater by creative.

forgot to mention, extract the creative driver to a folder as you need to use the uninstaller app inside the subfolders during step 1 as well as driver sweeper.

Confirmed working workaround as since done a freinds PC with same card using method.

Back
Top Bottom