Windows 7 Gothic I & II not working on Windows 7

orcnas

Hello Guys & Girls,

I've registered here because two of my all-time-favorite-games seem to have a problem with the Windows 7.

When i start playing Gothic I the game crashes and before the game crashes the screen flickers.The game crashes when i start a new game.

People have tried if Gothic II is working on Windows 7 but Gothic II isnt working on Windows 7 too.
Im not the only one who is having this problem, everybody that has Windows 7 has this problem.

I hope some of you can help me with this problem.

My Windows 7 is 32 bit.

I am gratefull for every advice that you can give me :)

Thanks a lot,
Orcnas

Last edited:
Specs:
Proccessor: AMD athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Video card: GeForce 8600 GT

I've got the 32-bit version also and can't run Titan Quest and it's expansion Immortal Throne, even in compatibility mode. Even a low system requirement game like Torchlight does not run without difficulty.

It's got to be something in the OS. I really hope that they provide support to older games. Right now it's a major drawback.

Specs:
Proccessor: AMD athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Video card: GeForce 8600 GT
Gothic is a DOS game and will probably need Dosbox (DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS) to run on anything newer than Windows XP.

That said, both Gothic and Gothic 2 have issues with nVidia drivers for Windows Vista/7 and the release notes for their latest driver still reports it as a bug. The only thing you can do is keep checking back with nVidia as they release new drivers...or get an ATI card.:p

In the link that lucienlachance gave us it says that this might work for 64-bit windows so mine windows is 32 bit so if anyone has a 64-bit windows it's best to try if Gothic runs well with the tutorial in the link that lucienlachance gave us.

EDIT: Tryed it and it did now work for my 32 bit windows :( .

Fix!!!!

I found a fix!!! Just download the files below! ( The installation is in German but you have to just click next and when it asks you to browse your Gothic folder you just click the button on the right and browse your Gothic folder.
Links to fix:

Fix to Gothic:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Fix to Gothic 2:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

EDIT: Once the installation is complete, start up Gothic and it will give you an error ( dont worry about that :) ) . After the error shows up just close the error window and start up Gothic again and the game will launch up successfully :) . Enjoy.​

Last edited:
Re: Fix!!!!

DO THIS: (works for both one and two)

open the game TWICE
ctrl+alt+dlt
end process "rundll32.exe"
and the game magically opens (on its own)

dont ask me why but i spent 6hrs trying to open those games and then my boyfriend magically figures it out in like 15mins
hope this helps someone

dunno if ppl still got issues but one thing that worx,
and that might solve issues with various games from that area is the following.
as the game runs u tab out
u open the task manager and rightclick the gothic process, set the affinity to either just one or 2 cpus,
quadcore kills them all - some can handle dual but if u wanna play it save just use one.
than u can additionally have the program run in win xp service pack 3 mode and admin.

if i do all of the above i can run pretty much every game

good luck

Back