Windows 7 Grand Theft Auto 4 Fatal Error starting

dam89

Honorable Member
Hi,
I was gifted GTA 4 on steam for Christmas and it downloaded and installed fine with no problems. When i start it from either steam or the .exe in the game directory it will start The Rockstar Social Club login/ launcher window. I have an account made so when i click login it will just take a message box saying that the application had to close because of a fatal error - see pictures. I click ok then the windows closes and nothing happens
screen1.PNG

screen2.PNG

I have tried both removing .Net framework(s)and the different versions of c++ and re-installing them.(I also completely removed Visual Studio to see if that helped)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running latest versions of all my software(I think, i pride my self in staying up-to date).
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
AVG Free 9.0.7... and Comodo Firewall 3.13
Also have K-lite Codec Pack installed.

Basic Hardware
HP Pavillion DV6 Laptop
AMD Athlon II Dual Core 2.2Ghz
ATI HD 4200
3GB DDR2

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Thanks in advance)

If you know your system is in pretty good order then it has to be something to do with the game itself... I'd either check with the Steam forums or forums for the game itself

Yeah i have tried most if not all the fixes and tips from the forums and still no good. Still waiting for a reply from Steam / Rockstar. Hopefully there will be an update that will fix this issue.

OK, I have managed to Get the Rockstar Game Social Club Application to Launch but the Game still won't.

1. Go into Control Panel> Programmes and Features > Turn Windows Features on and Off, and Scroll down to Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.* and expand its options and make sure that Both W.C.F HTTP Activation and NON-HTTP Activation are checked. Make the changes if any and Click ok.

2.Go to the Rockstar games social club installation Directory and go into the 1_1_3_0 Folder.
3. In there change the Windows Compatible mode of RGSC.exe to Windows 98-ME OR Windows 95. Both worked fine for me.
4. Try and Launch.

UPDATE:

To get the game to launch:

Go into the GTA Directory and change the Compatiblity mode for LaunchGTAIV.exe to Vista SP2 and Change the Comp' mode of GTAIV.exe to Vista SP1. From then on launch the game from LaunchGTAIV.exe

Last edited:
Back