Windows 7 Graphic booster (Radeon 3870)

Ozye

I have a Fujitsu amilo 3650 with the external graphic booster (radeon 3870). In order to get it work in Windows 7 I need a Windows update named "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870". However, it doesn't appear on the optional updates list on Windows and I can't find it anywhere in the Internet. Does anyone have a link to this update?

Try the above links and if you still don't get any joy post back..

I tried the links and still can't get it work. I've been reading some other forums and it seems that I'd just need a windows update called "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870". That update should be available in the optional updates section in Windows 7 but I can't see it. After hours of searching I can't find it from the Internet either.

Wasn't the driver included when you bought the machine? You should have it on a disk if you have... Also check out this report as it may have some clues...
Amilo SA3650 with Graphics Booster review

You may need to install the driver 'through the back door' or in other words via the device manager. Find the device listed and you can point it to the driver. If your unsure how to do this post back...

Last edited:
The driver was included and works with Vista, which was also included. After installing Windows 7 and correct drivers it says "Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" in the 3870's properties. If I try to update the driver from the properties it says that the driver is already the most recent. I contacted Fujitsu's support and basically they said that getting that error code 10 is common in Windows 7 + 3870 and downloading the update would solve it. I just can't find the update anywhere.

The trouble is that 'mobility' graphics are slightly different to your normal graphic cards in that the driver usually has to come from the vendor of the device and thats probably why the drivers from the main ATI/AMD site won't work..

With this in mind the reason why your driver isn't picking up your external graphics is that the 'inf' hasn't been changed to include 7. Try this site found here: Link Removed - Invalid URL
Here you'll find a tool which will allow to 'mod' the drivers from AMD to run in your machine. Full instructions are on the page...Good luck! Just thought I'd add that it's a relatively simple process...
Post back if more help is required...

Last edited:
I tried that tool but the problem is that the drivers I'm trying to install don't extract into ATI\support folder, they just install directly. So I get no files to the support folder to modify.

If you follow the instructions in the above link you'll notice it says that to stop the installation as soon as it's unpacked...
I'll paste it here:

Run the downloaded driver, let it extract into c:/ATI/SUPPORT - but cancel the installation once the driver is extracted.

Read more: Link Removed - Invalid URL

if you download the normal catalysts, run them and follow the above instructions. You'll find the extracted folder on your C driver in the same place that you find your program files and windows folder...

Well these are the 8.56 betas that I'm trying to install. As I said, they won't extract themselves into ATI/support folder like normal catalysts. They are downloaded in a zipped folder that includes the files that are extracted to ATI/support in normal catalysts install (like setup.exe etc.)
I also tried to use the modifier tool directly to this folder and it modified the .ini files correctly. But after installing them I still get the same error code for 3870 at device manager.
Anyway, thanks for your help so far.

to ozye

Hi Ozye,

Just a quick question to you? May I know the link of the said BETA Version of the Grahpic Booster Driver?

Thanks a Lot!

Well these are the 8.56 betas that I'm trying to install. As I said, they won't extract themselves into ATI/support folder like normal catalysts. They are downloaded in a zipped folder that includes the files that are extracted to ATI/support in normal catalysts install (like setup.exe etc.)
I also tried to use the modifier tool directly to this folder and it modified the .ini files correctly. But after installing them I still get the same error code for 3870 at device manager.
Anyway, thanks for your help so far.

Why don't you try downloading the new cats? They are built to be used with 7, the 8.56 betas were definately not.

Because the Graphic booster can be used to boost the laptop's internal screen only with the 8.56 cross-display beta drivers. If I installed the newest catalysts, I'd always need an external screen for gaming which kind of makes the whole external graphic card pointless. The support from Fujitsu sucks :\

Where did you read that?
If you read this review found here: Amilo SA3650 with Graphics Booster review at the very end of the review are these words...

Update: a little birdie told us that ATI Catalyst 9.1 drivers will allow the Graphics Booster to utilize the Laptop LCD monitor now for gaming. Which would be very much welcomed.

Now obviously the cat 9.1s were the latest version of driver when this article was released and the very latest would give even better 7 support. Why not at least try the new drivers..... I know I would..:)

Back