GUIDE : Win 7 RAID Install Drivers -Setup was unable to create a new system partition

Bally123

Had a issue installing win 7 on a raid array - it's a new machine so no upgrades or existing data.

Set up Raid in Bios and this shows a 2 drive functional array with 2x320GB sata drives - no problem.

Downloaded raid driver from ASUS site and extracted them to a usb stick.

I tried to install win 7 and at the drive configuration page I can see 1 drive format type is currently "unallocated"

After several attempts to load RAID driver from usb flash stick, create new partition and install all I got when clicking next was:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup logs for more information"

So here is my method that worked:

1 SET UP RAID IN BIOS
2 CONFIGURE RAID - ctrl+f during boot
3 Load WIN 7 DVD
4 Set up country locales and get to WIN7 install screen - choose to install
5 INSERT USB STICK NOW!
6 Click load drivers - browse USB device and find the driver (x64 for 64 bit / x86 for 32bit)
7 REMOVE USB STICK NOW!
8 click advanced options
9 Create new - you should now see 2 partitions - 1st is around 100MB - system
The other the remaining drive size as a primary partition
10 Click on the large drive and hit next, install should work.

The issue for me was the USB stick must be inserted after step 4 and removed after step 6.

Hope this helps someone.

BAlly

Thank you so much, I have been scouring the web trying to figure out why my RAID array would not format. It was that USB stick the whole time.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.