Windows Vista Hacking AERO to work

Vignesh S

I have an old 2001 desktop that actually is quite a powerhouse (well in its day it certainly was), and Vista works fine with it (the driver issues are now sussed, all thanks to compatibility mode). But there's only one slight problem.

The graphics rating in the WEI is 1.9, just 0.1 off from being able to run AERO (the WEI overall rating is 1.0, and that's in the business graphics section)

Now, based on this, is it possible to hack AERO to actually get it to work? I know my graphics card is more than capable of running it, and as you can tell, it's only 0.1 off from actually being able to run it.

Specs (in case you need them):
Gigabyte P4 Titan 533 845E series motherboard
Pentium 4 Single Core running around 2.5-3.0 GHz
1.5GB RAM DDR1 (1x 512MB RAM chip; 1x 1024 RAM chip)
Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM

If you need more specs, let me know

By the way, would I need 2.0 in the graphics AERO section, or do I need more than 2.0 as the overall WEI rating?

I'll try the registry hack on it (it didn't work on my laptop, but its graphics sucks anyway)

Does this also work in Windows 7? Or are things a little bit different? If so, how?

I'll try the registry hack on it (it didn't work on my laptop, but its graphics sucks anyway)

Does this also work in Windows 7? Or are things a little bit different? If so, how?

I don't know. I never had to work on aero personally.

Microsoft list the specs needed for aero are:

a 1 Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error (Link Removed due to 404 Error) or Link Removed due to 404 Error (Link Removed due to 404 Error) Link Removed due to 404 Error
1 GB of system memory
a Link Removed due to 404 Error 9 compatible graphics processor with a Link Removed due to 404 Error (WDDM) driver, Link Removed due to 404 Error 2.0 in hardware, and a minimum of 128 MB of Link Removed due to 404 Error
32 bits per pixel

So depending on how near or far your hardware is to that spec is going to be your decider... vista hacks will usually work in 7 and it's just a case of trying each hack to see if they work or not..
Don't forget that laptop is now 8yrs old so I'm doubtful you'll see a successful outcome to this but then again you never know.... Try it and see. :)

Windows Aero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom