Windows Vista Hard And Easy Question

RIPSNORT

Here's a question ... I've my laptop (Vista Home Premium) that is set to automatically shut down (sleep mode I think it's called) after so many minutes.

The Screen will go blank, but the system doesn't shut down ... I've set it to different times (5 min. / 10 min. etc) and it still doesn't shut down.

If I shut the lid (not flip my lid) it goes into sleep mode and a red light comes on showing it to be so.

Have any an idea as to overcoming this unhappy snag?

Hi, if you go into the power options via the control panel you will see some small blue writing which says 'change plan settings' and then 'change Advanced power settings'. Its here you'll get a dialogue box which you change what the power buttons do as well as other options...

Thanks for the reply ... I've taken this avenue before, and yet it doesn't work. If there's something else you've got up your sleeve, please advise.

Hi, I really need some more information. Such as the laptop manufacturer type and model also which settings your using. Am i correct in assuming you cannot shut the laptop down at all?

The laptop is a Toshiba p200. My settings (if I'm following you correctly, and I don't think I am) are set for say 10 minutes to set the system to sleep mode.

If I close the lid on this, it goes to *sleep* ... but it should be doing that without closing the lid in the slotted time I've given it.

Let me know if this is helpful ... I appreciate you coming in on this.

Hmm its a weird one.. Ok, just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, if you go to the 'edit plan settings page' (which as you know, is accessable via the power options page with 'change power options' in blue writing) you get two options.
1.Turn off display
2.Put the computer to sleep
As you know you can change the times to suit but the dialogue box I'm thinking about is accessed via the small blue writing which says 'Change Advanced Power Settings' its here you can make further changes under Sleep. If however you've already tried that do you have a USB device plugged in? If you have a mouse plugged in for example then go to Device manager and right-click on the mouse. You should see a option about waking the computer, I think you need to unclick that and any other device that may have a similiar effect. Also you might have to unplug these devices when you want the laptop to sleep as the machine will keep 'talking' to them. I hope this has been some help. Let me know how you get on...

kemical ... nought is working yet. I did happen to notice just now, that in two different places, one number was 20 minutes before the laptop should slip off into a nice light coma ... another place was set at 19 minutes.
I'll let you know how this exciting saga turns out ... but if you've some other suggestion, please let it come this way. Thanks.

Hi Rip, I've been doing some checking too and there doesn't seem to be an easy answer for this problem.... I did some hunting through google and altho' I found users with similiar problems I didn't find a solution. The nearest thing to a fix was a suggestion to use 'Hibernate' instead... I'll keep my eye out tho' and let you know if I come across any more info'.

kemical ... thanks for your efforts sir. This is a weird and wonderful problem, and like you, my searches have come up with nought.

I'll keep this page opened up for a bit and see if you come up with something. Thanks again!

Hi Rip, I found something about configuring some settings in the bios. It wasn't very clear so you may have to experiment but its something to do with the settings called S1 and S3? Good luck and I'll get back to you if I find more...

Ok failing that, you may need to update the bios.. The site for Toshiba is here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL There is also a knowledge base utilty so you may find some answers there. ( I would have looked but you need to enter your info about the laptop) Anyway good luck again :)

Back
Top Bottom