Windows 7 Hard Disk Space Fluctuates

Kash2Smash

hey guys,

i have a win7 pro, Sony Vaio Laptop, 500GB Hard Disk with 4GB Ram.

my hard disk space has been fluctuating for a couple of days. From what i was sure of, or at least the stable remaining memory left in my C Drive Hard Disk was around 5 GB or something, however today i logged and found out 700MB.... thats drastic isnt it? Now after deleting some videos the remaining space is 1.36GB.....

I am pretty confused, i didnt add new data or installed any new software... can someone help me clarify this situation out?

thanks

kash

Suggestions :

1. Purchase an external hard drive. Store all your personal files there. That way, you won't have to delete anything like you just did.
Nowadays, a 1 TB ext. hdd is about or under $100 US. Well worth it.
If you are doing regular files backups, it is even more important that you should use an ext. hdd.
That is what I do. I have 493 GB free out of 581 GB, and I have tons of files but they are in my ext. hdd.

2. Install CCleaner. It is FREE.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Select the free version.
Run it on a regular basis. It will help you restoring some disk space.
Caution : Do NOT touch the Registry option. Not recommended unless you are an expert in registry issues.

3. Run the built-in Disk Cleanup app.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

Suggestions :

1. Purchase an external hard drive. Store all your personal files there. That way, you won't have to delete anything like you just did.
Nowadays, a 1 TB ext. hdd is about or under $100 US. Well worth it.
If you are doing regular files backups, it is even more important that you should use an ext. hdd.
That is what I do. I have 493 GB free out of 581 GB, and I have tons of files but they are in my ext. hdd.

2. Install CCleaner. It is FREE.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Select the free version.
Run it on a regular basis. It will help you restoring some disk space.
Caution : Do NOT touch the Registry option. Not recommended unless you are an expert in registry issues.

3. Run the built-in Disk Cleanup app.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

thanks a lot for the suggestions man, the only reason i am avoiding to buy an external HDD is becoz i am a college student and these hard drives get passed around, everyone has some sort of virus in those HDD's...

i have CCleaner and i use it on regular basis, and just performed step 3 as well :)

however, i still dont understand why the space fluctuated in my hard disk? now its back to 4GB from 1.36GB... pretty confused here.

You could try defragging your disk. There's something wrong with how your disk is read, and this simple measure might help.

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the suggestions man, the only reason i am avoiding to buy an external HDD is becoz i am a college student and these hard drives get passed around, everyone has some sort of virus in those HDD's...

i have CCleaner and i use it on regular basis, and just performed step 3 as well :)

however, i still dont understand why the space fluctuated in my hard disk? now its back to 4GB from 1.36GB... pretty confused here.

Why would you pass it around or let it be passed around....college or no college. Buy one, a portable 500 GB for less the $50 and keep it locked up. I would also look into the possibility of spyware/malware or a Virus that my be lurking on your system.

yeh, i installed malwarebytes and it found some threats, got rid of them immediately, since then no fluctuation has happened.. i thought of a virus replicating possibility, sounds dreadful.

yeh, i installed malwarebytes and it found some threats, got rid of them immediately, since then no fluctuation has happened.. i thought of a virus replicating possibility, sounds dreadful.

Forgive me. English is my 3rd language. I am liable to misunderstand the message.
You said .....i installed malwarebytes and it found some threats, got rid of them immediately, since then no fluctuation has happened...........

Why then the paranoid?
What virus replication? Your machine is clean, is it?

Is that your "college ritual" to pass around personal ext.hdd to one another?
You knew the danger, then, why conform to such stupid "ritual"?
I apologize if I sound rude.

You still need to run your AV and see if you are indeed infected with a virus.

Forgive me. English is my 3rd language. I am liable to misunderstand the message.
You said .....i installed malwarebytes and it found some threats, got rid of them immediately, since then no fluctuation has happened...........

Why then the paranoid?
What virus replication? Your machine is clean, is it?

Is that your "college ritual" to pass around personal ext.hdd to one another?
You knew the danger, then, why conform to such stupid "ritual"?
I apologize if I sound rude.

lol its all cool...
well the thing is that prior to be installing malwarebytes, fluctuations were taking place occasionally. Once i did, malwarebytes reported some threats which i got rid off immediately. Now what i wasn't really sure of was that why was huge chunk of my data just fluctuate up and down from my hard disk. Since certain threats were detected, i assumed one reason could be virus replication which caused that.

and the so called college ritual to pass around the ext.hdd, i mentioned it as one of the reasons for not buying one :p no matter how much it sounds stupid and completely controllable, its inevitable, but that wasnt of my concerns actually.

Back
Top Bottom