Windows 7 Hard Drive not detected

Untitled001

Hi, I recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7 to my computer and it works perfectly fine, but Windows can't seem to find my secondary hard drive with some very important stuff on it.

I earlier installed Ubuntu to try it out (from recommendation of a friend) and I could access the drive with no problems.

I've used Find and Mount and the Disk Management in administration, but Windows just CANNOT find my drive.

Solutions?

If it matters, I have 2 optical drives and 3 hard drives all running through SATA, the hard drive that isn't found being the last one plugged in (slot 5). I have a sneaking suspicion that Windows might have some sort of limit on 4 SATA devices?

Before I added my Bluray drive, it found the third HDD fine.

Hi,
can you see the drive in the bios? If not, perhaps the slot needs enabling or cables have come loose? Please check, if you can find it in your bios then all may not be lost..

It doesn't appear in the BIOS, but was completely accessible on Ubuntu.

Let me explain the series of events.

Added new hardware to computer (bluray drive. Third harddrive never left. It always worked before.)
Backed up onto second HDD.
Reformatted and installed Windows 7.
Third HDD wouldn't appear, but I could grab all my stuff from the second drive.
Installed Ubuntu on recommendation to try it (Windows didn't get uninstalled).
Ubuntu could read every SATA device that was plugged in.
Went back to Windows (still couldn't read HDD)
Uninstalled Ubuntu (because I didn't like it).

It's extremely weird that it doesn't come in the BIOS, but Ubuntu could read it fine.

I'd move to Ubuntu, but it doesn't support Steam and my music recording programs unless I use WINE, which I don't really want to use because it apparantly runs Steam badly.

Hmm.... and your motherboard is fully updated? I mean bios wise..

Yep. I've decided to reinstall Ubuntu to see if I can access the drive again from there. If I can (fingers crossed) I'm going to move the important stuff over to my second drive and get rid of the third. Too much hassle. Then I'll do a tidy up of the inside of my computer and reformat my main drive and reinstall windows.

*SIGH* Computers, eh?

Yep. I've decided to reinstall Ubuntu to see if I can access the drive again from there. If I can (fingers crossed) I'm going to move the important stuff over to my second drive and get rid of the third. Too much hassle. Then I'll do a tidy up of the inside of my computer and reformat my main drive and reinstall windows.

*SIGH* Computers, eh?
You may want to try live CD Ubuntu first to avoid the hassel of installing Ubuntu and then WIN7 again.

Last minute thought did you try defaulting the BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom