Windows Vista Has my pc fell into the pit of ultimate doom?

Hello,
Today I was happily trying to solve a common graphical error with my PC.
One day after a normal shut down and reboot all of my resolutions reset to 800 x600 and my native 1440x900 dissapeared off the face of my PC.. Browsing websites for answers i came across a way to correct it by using a driver cleaner and reinstalling the video card drivers( nVidea 8600). Well as this wasnt a big enough kick to the face... after restarting the Vista loading bar stopped part way and a screen popped up saying that "Vista had run into an error and could not start" and thus asking me whether i would like to a) start in safemode, b) start from last safe boot.. and so on. The real kick to the ass comes with the fact that nomatter what option i choose, vista tries to boot up but crashes in the same place and returns to the option screen. The vista DVD does nothing when i put it in and reboot so i am pretty much stuck in a circle of crashing reboots and no possible way of escape that i can see..
ANY ideas or info would be AMAZINGLY appreciated.. thank you.

I would suggest that you have a hardware malfunction. The OS is reading from the bios, or built in VGA set.
Before doing anything reall drastic, try taking the graphics board out and give the contacts on the motherboard and card, a quick brush.

Hello,
Today I was happily trying to solve a common graphical error with my PC.
One day after a normal shut down and reboot all of my resolutions reset to 800 x600 and my native 1440x900 dissapeared off the face of my PC.. Browsing websites for answers i came across a way to correct it by using a driver cleaner and reinstalling the video card drivers( nVidea 8600). Well as this wasnt a big enough kick to the face... after restarting the Vista loading bar stopped part way and a screen popped up saying that "Vista had run into an error and could not start" and thus asking me whether i would like to a) start in safemode, b) start from last safe boot.. and so on. The real kick to the ass comes with the fact that nomatter what option i choose, vista tries to boot up but crashes in the same place and returns to the option screen. The vista DVD does nothing when i put it in and reboot so i am pretty much stuck in a circle of crashing reboots and no possible way of escape that i can see..
ANY ideas or info would be AMAZINGLY appreciated.. thank you.

Have you set the bios to boot from CD/DVD? Try that with the vista disk in and you should be able to either repair or reformat.

Back