Windows 8 Have you checked Device Manager after updates?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Never mind, I think the differences are because of different chipset drivers I had installed with Windows 8 since it was not finding all my devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked mine, after I installed 8 CP on my desktop. The CMicron driver wasn't there, nor the proper wired Internet card driver, not the Realtek sound drivers. All had to be manually installed.

Since then, so far, so good.

Cat

Thanks Cat, I realized mine had changed, and quite a bit, after a bios update. Things are still a little shaky, just got another blue screen this morning and this one was not caused by the Network Adapter. Not a problem, but an interest.

That BSOD may be due to a wrong driver installed onto your system, even with Windows 8 CP. On both my PC & notebook, I noticed that many of the drivers are Microsoft ones. Not the ones that shipped with Windows 7 (assuming that the computer had Windows 7 as OEM, like both of mine), but generic drivers. This has the potential to cause BSOD's & other issues, such as loss of function of devices that previously worked. Check this out, there are some answers to your questions here.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: frequently asked questions

Only one of my webcams now works, and that was only after installing 3rd party software. I had to manually install the JMicron chipset drivers, this seemed odd, because a virgin Windows 7 install picked up those drivers. I'm slowly getting the drivers right, but it's taking some time. Both on my HP & MSI.

Cat

Last edited by a moderator:
My Network card (Intel 82579V) situation is a little different. It is fairly new and Windows 7 never had a driver for it. I found out, after a few blue screens, the driver version Windows 8 was using, had a bug allowing an OS to misidentify the version of the card. Installing the latest from Intel seems to have stopped that problem.

This new problem, happened at 0330 this morning (just happened to be up). I have not investigated, but because of the bios change, I was thinking the new devices, under systems, might not have correct or updates to drivers, so I reinstalled the chipset drivers to see if it would help.

My changes were not insignificant. ACPI Fans were added, a 82802 Firmware Hub, some ACPI thermal zones and some other things. In Windows 7, some of these things were added also, but the Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family PCI Express root Port -0101, does not show that exact designation.

So far, Windows 8 has not recognized my onboard Bluetooth .. just waiting to see what happens.

I haven't tried to use the Windows 7 drivers for my JMicron or Marvell SATA controllers. And I am fairly sure they are needed because of the way the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section looks and the fact they are not listed under the Storage Controllers section.

The USB 3.0 ports seem to be working and have Win 8 3.0 drivers installed.

Anyway, tracking this stuff down keeps me busy, and deciding exactly which drivers might be beneficial and which ones may cause problems, is why I am running this beta -- oh sorry, Consumer Preview ;)

That JMicron driver, I'm sure you'll need. The one that I installed was needed, as USB response time was very slow. I don't know what other processes if affects.

This thing gets confusing to me. Like I know that I need the correct drivers, but don't know the exact function of all of them. I know that with a virgin system, provided there are no hardware issues, if there are problems, then it's the drivers. This is assuming that no AV/IS suite has yet to be installed, as it can appear to be the problem, when in fact it's not.

Fortunately, a driver disk shipped with my MSI notebook, any missing ones (there were a couple) can be installed from it. I open the Device Manager, if the component is listed, I point it to the CD to update it. Both my USB3 & USB2 drivers were not installed on that one. Neither was the proper sound scheme. It has a DYNAUDIO sound system, some generic HD Audio crap was installed. These are things that I've been working on, when I'm able.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm going to leave Windows 8 on that notebook. None of my OEM hotkeys works (FN+F1 through F12). These hotkeys controls a lot of functions, including my 5 dimensional power scheme, webcam/video, wi-fi on or off, CPU Turbo Boost (2.90GHz), a few other things. Unless MSI gives some major support, those functions are gone. It's powerful enough, Intel i5 M 480 @2.67GHz, 8GB DDR3 (10666) RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (1GB DDR3 VRAM), to handle Windows 7 Pro x64 without breaking a sweat. Even when running XP Mode or other VM's, it doesn't strain at all. And I have support through January 2020.

My HP desktop is where I really need it. CPU/RAM resource usage is much less (esp CPU). There's really no loss of function, as there are no hotkeys assigned to a feature. Running Windows 7 & 8 is like night & day, a huge difference between the two in all around performance. My temps are lower, my fan isn't constantly screaming, so Windows 8 has done some good.

Still working with the Device Manager & Drivers, but for the most part, all seems to be OK. Yes, this keeps me busy too, and hopefully by summer, all will be worked out. But I've probably already made my mind up on the MSI. Windows 7 Pro x64 runs perfect on it, I don't need a "lite" OS on it, and I like for the default functions to work properly, especially the power schemes & Turbo Boost.

Saltgrass, hope all works out for you. Check back with me & let me know how everything works out.

Best of Luck,
Cat

I wonder why we have to checked Device Manager after updates? And i want to ask how to make the computer work quickly? I find out my computer work slowly.

Interesting comments. As always, we all have different experiences with ne software. In particular new OSs. My Stationary, which has passed the test of time since Vista, (a minor upgrade of a graphics card), has nothing sophisticated on it. I have a rather old HP printer hanging on the end, and a very basic camera. Apart from a quite advanced laptop, which my wife commandeers most of the time, this is my lot, and the most my budget can afford.
A brand new , unadorned installation of Windows 8, gave me these results in the device manager. I have only reproduced the first portion. Surprisingly, referring back to Cat's first comment, as you can see, it installed the RealTek drivers, with the full config window in the control Panel, automatically. This is the first time it has accomplished this since Vista!

View attachment 464

Back