Windows 10 Having problems finding Windows drive using Ubuntu Live CD

Joe2323

Having problems finding hard drive with Ubuntu live cd
Long story short, my computers hard drive is screwed up and the computer won't start.

(Link in next post)

According to this link I am able to get access to the hard drive and save my important data, but I'm having a few issues. I get to the step where it says to click on computer and my Windows drive should show up, but the problem is when I click on computer there are over 20 folders. I don't understand what each one means and so im pretty much stuck. I ran this command...

Sudo gparted

...and am now faced with this screen.

(Pic will be in next post)

I am no computer expert(and actually surprised I made it this far), so I need some advice on what to do next. I notice that the 3rd partition(the Windows one) is not working properly, so I feel that is the problem.

I really just want to know if I'm going to be able to get my important stuff off my computer or not and what steps to take?

I posted this on the Ubuntu forums and somebody said I should ask here as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Joe! We have some Linux users here on the forum. I'm sure they will be able to help you. I have used Ubuntu to recover files, but it's been to long and I don't remember the details.
Please be patient and a member will help you when they have time.;)
Thanks for joining Windows Forum!

The 4th one down first "Data Partition" is your Windows partition. The others are boot mgr and recovery partition but you can tell by the size 439.63 has to be your Windows partition.

The 4th one down first "Data Partition" is your Windows partition. The others are boot mgr and recovery partition but you can tell by the size 439.63 has to be your Windows partition.

Makes sense. I'm having issues opening the partition in Ubuntu, as I'm getting this screen when I try to open it...

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8813/briC7K.jpg

People over at the Ubuntu forums said I should turn off fast start up, but I don't see how that's possible if my computer can't start up in Windows.

Alright, so now I know what I need to do next. How do I turn fast startup off if my computer can't start Windows? I've googled but come up empty.

Hi Joe! I couldn't find a way to turn it off either! Ubuntu is a great way to recover data on a drive that won't boot to windows; but if the drive is toasted,it might not work. We have other Linux members here, so don't give up. We are all on different time zones, so be patient and other members might reply latter.;):clover::clover:
PS there may be a way in the BIOS, but I don't how??

Back