Windows 8 Having problems with windows mail

grish art

Hi All

I am having problem with windows mail. I set it up on a friends machine running windows 8.1 and as it only has the option for imap I set this up. However now when they delete an email of the personal mail sever it removes it from their mail app. Is the a setting to leave it on there until they choose to delete it or should they be using a different mail client?

Thanks
Chris

IMAP works differently than POP, as it does full synchronization of emails. While you might think this is a problem, most believe it to be much more robust than POP, as long as all of your devices you use are using the IMAP protocol then every client will contain the same contents, which is something POP could not do. If there is such an option it would be in your mail client, but like I said just switch them to use IMAP everywhere and you should be good to go, even if they login to their webmail they will have a uniform experience.

Hi Josephur

The only problem with this is that when their mail server is full they will need to delete it and it will be gone from the mail app. On my Iphone 3gs I have it set as an Imap however I can set it so that I manually delete from the inbox. this means when I download on my computer it still has a copy on my phone. is there a way to set up folders on windows mail and if the email is moved from the inbox will this stop it be deleted when the mail server is emptied?

Hi All

I am having problem with windows mail. I set it up on a friends machine running windows 8.1 and as it only has the option for imap I set this up. However now when they delete an email of the personal mail sever it removes it from their mail app. Is the a setting to leave it on there until they choose to delete it or should they be using a different mail client?

Thanks
Chris

Why IMAP is the only option? I don't understand.

Suggestion :
Install Windows Live Mail (WLM) and set up a POP email account.
I have a laptop running Win 8.1 Pro and that is what I did.
In WLM, you can setup folders to store emails you want to keep and delete those you don't want.
In WLM, it also has the following options :
1. Delete from server after x number of days
2. Delete from server only when emails are deleted from Deleted Items folder.

Image 6.png

Last edited:
Why IMAP is the only option? I don't understand.
Bo that's not true. You can set up POP on Windows Mail. But you need to configure it in your webmail account settings. That is you have to log into your GMail or Yahoo mail account in your web browser and set it up there first.

Back